The Activity Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger
Western Animation General Discussion Topic Vote_lcapWestern Animation General Discussion Topic Voting_barWestern Animation General Discussion Topic Vote_rcap 
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Western Animation General Discussion Topic Vote_lcapWestern Animation General Discussion Topic Voting_barWestern Animation General Discussion Topic Vote_rcap 
Soroya123
NinjaKitten
Baron Von Aardvark
Spidey
Leo M. R.
W!tch
Westbrook
tylerouzts
Latest topics
» Chapter Seven
Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm by ThePyromaniac

» Hear me out... (BERG theory)
Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm by janusjekyll

» Hello Activity Club
Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am by janusjekyll

» Non-specific Greeting
Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm by Westbrook

» (slides in) Good Evening
Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm by Clayview

» I shout into the void
Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm by Clayview

Statistics
We have 325 registered users
The newest registered user is AL

Our users have posted a total of 14282 messages in 355 subjects
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Western Animation General Discussion Topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

Western Animation General Discussion Topic Empty
PostSubject: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:42 pm

So. Western animation series. LET'S GET DOWN TO BUSINESS!

TO DEFEAT THE HUNS!

(no but seriously let's talk about our favorite Western animation series here!)
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:47 pm

For the shows on air right now
Gravity Falls, hands down. Only weakness is the number of episodes.
followed by

Dan vs.

Bravest Warriors

Regular Show

Adventure Time.

MLP
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:48 pm

Gravity falls, adventure time, and bravest warriors are all shows I watch.
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:52 pm

What about shows that are finished or have been cancelled?
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:04 pm

Young Justice, Green Lantern, Justice league, Danny phantom, Static shock, powerpuff girls, johnny bravo, knd, avengers earth's mightest heroes, x-men, x-men evolution, hulk, spectacular spiderman, spiderman, wolverine and the xmen, silverhawks, tmnt, etc.

THere is just too many for me to remember.
Back to top Go down
W!tch
Mag!c
W!tch

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 12:06 am

Top fifteen time~ <3

1. Samurai Jack
2. Oban Star Racers
3. Avatar the Last Airbender
4. Generator Rex
5. Adventure Time
6. Batman TAS
7. Megas XLR
8. Ed Edd n Eddy
9. Phineas And Ferb
10. Young Justice
11. Ben 10 Omniverse
12. Animaniacs
13. Transformers Animated
14. Teen Titans
15. Bravest Warriors
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 7:59 am

Objectively-speaking, going purely from quality, I'd have to say the best Western animation series I've ever watched was Avatar: The Last Airbender. That show was legit. I mean, it had everything. Everything. Properly researched, at that! Action, comedy, romance, drama, horror, mystery? Check. Themes of war, family, friendship, alienation, loss, responsibility, destiny, hardwork, ancestry, spirituality, nature, loneliness, murder, political backstabbing, balance, harmony, and who knows what else? Check. Unbelievably realistic martial arts and philosophy, lifted from actual real-world teachings and traditions? Check. A cast of quirky, lovable, relatable, yet still badass people? Check. A self-awareness of the show's own nature and plots? You might want to see The Ember Island Players.

Subjectively-speaking, however, going purely from taste, my favorite Western animation series was and still is Codename: Kids Next Door. A group of 5 Kid Heroes as part of a global anti-adult organization who fights for the rights of kids everywhere (with the main headquarters being located on the moon)? Parodies, homages and shout outs ranging from Chinatown to Dragon Ball Z to Sheep in the Big City to X-Men to Kingdom Hearts? Humongous Mecha made of newborn chicks, Bamboo Technology that Runs On Nonsensoleum (and the Rule of Cool, of course), candy pirates raiding the town on Halloween, dogfights between two chili dog-eating ace pilots, dodgeball wizards, giant monkeys made with rainbow powers, homework-eating werewolves, underground rootbeer bars, and a musical episode featuring, of all people, GWAR? More need not be said. It must be seen to be believed.
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 9:40 am

How do you feel about Korra, then, Leo?
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 9:58 am

Legend of Korra? Hmmm, I can't give any fair judgment now, seeing as it's only a quarter of the way finished. But so far, I like it! The technological advancements made in the show mirror the real world from around 1850 to 1920s, I think, so it still keeps a touch of realism. A lot of things make sense when you go back and think about 'em (such as why Korra relies on firebending so much; using water or earth would cause damage to the city, while she can't use air yet). Lin Beifong is metal Spider-Woman, 'nuff said. Pro-bending is a delightfully creative sport, combining real-world sports and martial arts old and new. Also, I'm proud to say that the show managed to convince me to become a Korrasexual.

Having said that, it's not without its flaws. Asami is a terribly underdeveloped character. There was less buildup to the reveal of Amon's identity than I would have liked. I don't like how they treat Bolin like a dispensable Butt Monkey (they nearly fell into that hole with Sokka. Luckily, meteorite sword to the rescue!). Also, Bolin saw Korra first AND was the one who got Korra in the Fire Ferrets in the first place. Mako was already with Asami. So what's the deal with Mako-Korra?! It seems forced. Lastly, the moment Korra airbended needed to be more epic. More... victorious. In my opinion, anyway. These are some of the more grievous criticisms I have, for now.

However, the fact that: 1) Yes, Amon and The Equalists do have a point, in that non-benders seem to be discriminated against in Republic City, so it's not a clear-cut Black-and-White morality tale, and 2) Iroh II exists, more than makes up for it! I'm looking forward to the following books!

...(sorry, I just geeked out beyond socially-acceptable levels again. didn't I?)
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:04 am

A fair analysis; once again you were tested, and once again your knowledge was not lacking.
Back to top Go down
Cleverdan
New Kid
Cleverdan

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 12:26 pm

God, Gravity Falls is amazing.

I'd been watching Adventure Time and Regular Show for a while, both of which are really good. Regular Show is fantastic if you're hanging out with a bunch of people and you want to watch something that will crack you up. Adventure Time is fun and cool and has all that neat hidden/not so hidden background sinister stuff.

But man, Gravity Falls is just far beyond both of those shows in my opinion. The consistent continuity, the mysteries all around, the codes, the fantastic characterization and voice acting. It's all superb and I'm really glad it's on television.
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 12:53 pm

Can you promote Gravity Falls, Cleverdan? Sounds intriguing.
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 12:56 pm

Promote, Promote, Promote (Chants)
Back to top Go down
Cleverdan
New Kid
Cleverdan

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 3:45 pm

Leo M. R. wrote:
As in tell you about the show and why you should watch it?

Because I can do that.
Back to top Go down
Spidey
Spectral
Spidey

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 4:04 pm

Adventure Time
Bravest Warriors
Dick Figures(does it even count?)
Teen Titans
Young Justice
Courage The Cowardly Dog
Grim adventures of billy and mandy
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 4:21 pm

Cleverdan wrote:
Leo M. R. wrote:
As in tell you about the show and why you should watch it?

Because I can do that.

Yes please!
Back to top Go down
Cleverdan
New Kid
Cleverdan

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 5:18 pm

Okay, so Gravity Falls is about these two twins, Dipper and Mabel. Their parents send them off for a summer to Gravity Falls, a small town in Oregon, to stay with their Great Uncle (Grunkle) Stan, a scam artist who owns "The Mystery Shack," a tourist trap full of fake mysteries. Dipper quickly finds out that things are not what they seem in Gravity Falls when he finds a book detailing many supernatural occurrences and creatures in the town.

That's the basic premise of the show. The show has many strengths. Basically, each week we get a new supernatural being or item, and the episode sort of revolves around that. It's far from typical though, it's not just an "event of the week" show, as it has a consistent continuity and loads of recurring characters.

However, I'd say that the show's biggest strength is in the main cast and the dialogue. Dipper and Mabel pull off the "twins" bit really well, their chemistry and back-and-forth is a big part of what makes the show great. Grunkle Stan is also a great character for one-off lines. There are a few other great main characters but I'll leave it at that for now.

There are lots of mysteries for the viewer themselves to unlock. (If you watch the show, take a look at Gravity Falls conspiracy theories and the like, some hold a surprising amount of weight) Each episode ends with a cryptogram for the viewer to translate, which I personally love.

So yeah, I like Gravity Falls a lot and could say a lot more about it, but for now I'll just round it off with "Go watch the show!"
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 5:21 pm

Interesting... It is ongoing, I assume?
Back to top Go down
Cleverdan
New Kid
Cleverdan

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 5:22 pm

It's a show I'd definitely recommend to anyone who likes Paranatural.

Also, this is just a side note for anyone who used to watch Homestar Runner back in it's heyday: Matt Chapman, the voice of all the characters on Homestar, is working on Gravity Falls as a writer/director/voice actor, so that's pretty great.

Leo M. R. wrote:
Indeed. Still in its first season. It airs on Disney Channel, interestingly enough.
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 5:25 pm

Cleverdan wrote:
Leo M. R. wrote:
Indeed. Still in it's first season. It airs on Disney Channel, interestingly enough.

I am intrigued... Righto, your recommendation is noted down, clever one! I thanketh thee Very Happy Though the trauma of Young Justice's premature cancellation still haunts me so. I find myself quite reluctant to try any ongoing Western animation series that is not named My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic Sad
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 5:38 pm

Gravity Falls is awsome though, its only weakness, long gaps between episodes.
Back to top Go down
Shuryou
New Kid
Shuryou

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeSun Apr 07, 2013 6:56 pm

I still think Soos is more than meets the eye.

Uncovering 2 secret rooms? Come on man
Back to top Go down
Idle Scout
New Kid
Idle Scout

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 3:14 am

You know you watch too much anime when your list of favorite shows only has so few western animations.

Favorites:
Gravity Falls
Ben 10/Foster's home for imaginary friends(Tied for 3rd)

Fairly odd parents
Ed, Edd'n Eddy!
S01 of Mlp Fim

If you wanted to know anime, then I could talk turkey with you all day.
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 3:40 am

Apparently a lot of people watch Gravity Falls... and love it. Fascinating...
Back to top Go down
Idle Scout
New Kid
Idle Scout

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 3:51 am

Leo M. R. wrote:
Apparently a lot of people watch Gravity Falls... and love it. Fascinating...

I can't say for every one but I'd say it's the little things they do like the cryptic messages, the relationship between the siblings(take Carpet diem for example), subtle foreshadowing(I'm looking at you epi. 09) and the fact that I find most of the characters to be believable. Another thing for me is now that I've seen more I'm going back and seeing lots of things I missed that make the episodes that much better! I could go on and on, kinda not really, but I digress.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Western Animation General Discussion Topic   Western Animation General Discussion Topic Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Western Animation General Discussion Topic

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next