The Activity Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger
Gaming General - Page 2 Vote_lcapGaming General - Page 2 Voting_barGaming General - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Gaming General - Page 2 Vote_lcapGaming General - Page 2 Voting_barGaming General - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Soroya123
NinjaKitten
Baron Von Aardvark
Spidey
Leo M. R.
W!tch
Westbrook
tylerouzts
Latest topics
» Chapter Seven
Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm by ThePyromaniac

» Hear me out... (BERG theory)
Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm by janusjekyll

» Hello Activity Club
Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am by janusjekyll

» Non-specific Greeting
Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm by Westbrook

» (slides in) Good Evening
Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm by Clayview

» I shout into the void
Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm by Clayview

Statistics
We have 325 registered users
The newest registered user is AL

Our users have posted a total of 14282 messages in 355 subjects
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Gaming General

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

Gaming General - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 1:53 am

Neat!

Final Fantasy Tactics is a fantastic game. I'm a huge fan. It gets extremely hard near the end, though!
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 01, 2016 7:21 am

With the way I'm playing it, it's pretty hard right now! Though for the random encounters, the reason is mostly my new guys not having much to work with. With the story missions though, the guest party members just don't help me out much, it's super annoying. I died when trying to save the princess on the first try cause the warrior girl that wanted to protect the princess just stayed by her side and defended when she could have revived my main guy. I'm still kinda salty about that, I was so close to winning too!
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 8:29 am

It's always a good idea to keep a chemist or white mage on hand- which version of the game are you playing? The original, the Greatest hits release, or the War of the Lions remake for the PSP? All of them are the best, equally. I never will get used to the various translations in the WotL version though... And I guess there's only a very marginal difference between the original and greatest hits releases- literally nothing significant.
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 05, 2016 11:19 pm

I believe it's the original. I play a physical playstation 1 disk of it on an emulator.
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 10:25 am

Whew, now I won't have to constantly remind myself what the 'new' terms are for things. Huzzah, Lancers, Oracles, Mediators, Algus, Zigolis Swamp, and every other reasonable name for a thing!

My favorite little quirk of the original discs is the one Time Mage in particular, in the Deep Dungeon, that has a male character portrait but a female sprite (and retains this quirk if you recruit them!). Nobody knows what caused this to happen, but it's consistent, repeatable, and mysteriously disappeared in the WotL remake. RIP cross-mage.

What's your favorite unit? Favorite special character? Etcedera? What imposition are you applying to yourself in particular that caused you to say 'the way I'm playing it'? (I like to impose challenge runs on myself that I call Generals Playthroughs, where I create squads with their own character lore, then promote the best member to a General and set either them to AI, or have them be the only ones NOT on AI, depending on my whimsy).

Have you ever heard of the fan project FFT 1.3 Insane Difficulty version? Since you're running an emulator, it might be worth taking a look at! they revamped the AI, battle mechanics, job classes, added in new monsters, etcedera. I've never beaten the Dorter mission.
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 06, 2016 8:37 pm

Oh that's something cool. I haven't gotten as far as any Deep Dungeon. I just recruited the engineer as a guest ally.

I haven't gotten that far to have favorite stuff yet.

The way I play is a bit random. I use a random number generator to see what units I should add to a match. After the match, I teach the people that were in it skills if I can, and then roll to see if I change their equiped abilities, roll for what their abilities will be, roll to see if I change their job and roll for what job to change to. The guest people that are only for storyline missions, I try to have item ability on them at least. This way it's kinda cool to see how people randomly develop, but with alot of people on my team, it can be pretty hard to play with the lower level/under-developed people. ;w;

I never heard of it, but the game is pretty hard already for me! (Probably cause of how I play) While looking into, it kinda glorified it to be for people who've played the game so much that it's pretty much easy for them, so I'm not in that category yet.
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 07, 2016 10:27 am

I'm pretty sure that I only like 1.3 because on some deep emotional level I enjoy suffering.
(There is a content-only version that doesn't go out of its' way to make one cry, though- but I feel that would defeat the purpose!)

You just picked up Mustadio, eh? That places you a good way into the middle of chapter 2. Nice!

That... is quite the randomization process you have going on there! I think I'll give that a go myself to really challenge my ability to adapt without a steady plan. You'd wind up having to rely on whatever gear you had on hand, with units who may or may not know any abilities or have compatible equipment for those abilities- that's not even mentioning how the spillover JP would come into the mix. Everyone would get a fraction of all the experience gained for all involved jobs, which would cover some of your bases for the lower-level spells for a class you might get swapped into... this system actually sounds /really/ intriguing! Excuse me while I hook up my playstation.

Starting from a fresh game, that leaves your characters to randomly develop from squire/chemist down their respective paths- no matter how far they manage to go, there's always the risk that they'll be assigned to the opposite path and forced to hybridize- oh, how interesting watching the mid-tier classes become available would be! Choosing your skills manually seems like the saving grace that actually tests your general knowledge of the game, and encourages you to look at the units overall progression to see which abilities would be useful to have available.

Let's see... there are exactly twenty generic classes in the game, a maximum of sixteen units total in the original, this could very easily be handled by a single dodecahedron die. Hrm, you've also got the skills you swap out put on a randomizer- with the secondary job skill, the reaction, passive, and movement... I could use a four or five sider to determine how many to swap out, with the five-point having the option of realtive 0 meaning no swaps... Randomize whether they swap their job class either by coin flip then die roll or just roll the die and take the available corresponding class every time- of course, not all twenty classes are available, so I'd have to choose between catch-a-tigering it or just rolling a smaller die depending on available classes... You're using an RNGenerator program, you said? That sounds simple enough. Here I am trying to deconstruct and customize it (don't even know why I'm typing this all out honestly), when I could just as easily have asked you for the specifics! Heheh! Oh but this is fun. So much more chaotic than my Gruns, I love the idea. Ooh, I just quelled one of my main concerns, too- I'd only have to reroll the units I actually used after each battle. That's certainly a timesaver!

I'd love to hear about how your run has gone so far if you'd care to share- any standout units, interesting events that stuck in your memory, clutch pulls or fantastic fails that threw the situation for a loop? Have you recruited any monsters (aside from Boco, at the start of Ch2)?
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 12:09 am

Well uh, the RNGenerator I use is an easy number picker game that I made and use haha. It's kinda small so it can fit to the side of most windowed screen resolutions for you're free to click between the 2. What I use for the FFT game is the RNG's regular 1-10 picking mode. Under the spoiler is more about the RNG game that has nothing to do with FFT, so if you want you can skip it.

Spoiler:

For picking characters to use for a battle, 16 is the max, but when I started out with less, I pretty much just had all of my units as at least one number, and any number that wasn't an option I kinda made up on the fly. Example: I got 7 guys left to pick from, roll a 10, uh decide 8 would have been lowest level person, 9-highest level, and uh 10 will be whoever is closest to going up a level. If I have 5 to pick from, it goes 1-5 and then cycles, so first person is 1 and 6. 4 people; 1-4, 5-8, 9 is lowest level, 10 is highest level, that sort of thing. When dealing with more than ten, I roll for an option of the first ten people, and then roll for confirmation using half the numbers for yes, and the other half for no. (I use odds for yes, evens for nos, but you can use whatever) if no, then roll again using the guy after who you just landed on as 1 and go through the list.

After the battle, I go through the first person on the formation list that was in the battle, do all their randomizing, then go to the next.

First I see if they can learn any new skills in a job. If more than one is available, roll to see which to pick first, if anymore, then roll again untill none left.

For skill setting, I roll to see if I change at all, if yes then I go through each slot to roll for each. The first slot I roll and count down the list from what they had for it to begin with. The other three don't have much at all in them, so I usually just give each option a set number, so what was already set on the character doesn't matter for those.

Then I roll to see if I change the character's job. If yes, then I just roll and count from the job that person had. I dont count greyed out jobs except the one that the person currently is. If I get the same job they already are, I pretent to get mad about it like "What!? You told me to change it, yet you pick the same one?!" And from then on, for each person after them, I just go one down the list on everything. Don't even roll to ask, just automatically change skills and jobs to the next in line haha. I hope this all makes sense and I'm not explaining this wrong.

I don't have many memorable moments yet. There's one time where it was a 6 against 5 battle that I kinda metaphorically wet my pants upon seeing cause of 2 archers with lightning bows, and first time ever seeing a trent. The battle did an almost 180 though when I luckily got one of the archers with invitation to join my team! And no, I only recruited Boco and he laid (this is probably the wrong word, curse you english!) some eggs that hatched into better stated chocobos, so I released Boco. I currently have 2 regular and black chocobos on my team.
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 12:06 pm

Laid was the proper word there, yes. Black chocobos are just the best, aren't they? That RNG program you've got going on is pretty neat.

I spent a goodly bit of time debating whether to use the original version or the WotL remake as the base for this run, and wound up choosing WotL for the dice synergy and eight extra character slots. I'll probably ignore the Onion Knight and Dark Knight to maintain the twenty job classes fitting well with the dodecahedron. Between the six, four, and twenty sided dice I figure I can simplify the process to (~6x~4=ChSl) for choosing which units go into battle, (~4=SkSl/4^) for choosing how many/which of the skill slots get changed, (~20=JC→) for rerandomizing their job class- which I'll uses as a rotary dial from their current job class. Landing on an unavailable job will just mean choosing the next available job to the right of that.

I'm looking forward to this, and I've got to thank you for showing me the possibility of running a randomizer on a game that I've been trying to spice up for so long.

I accidentally left the page and had to re-type this twice trying to input the ASCII combo for that arrow before I remembered I could slap it down on notepad and copy/paste. *grumble stupid browsers taking ALT commands as default grumble*

::Edit::

And I've already discovered a flaw in my plan: no combination of numbers between 1-6 multiplied by numbers between 1-4 will ever produce the numbers 7, 11, 13, 17, 19, 21, or 23. Silly me, forgetting prime numbers are a thing that exists.

I'm debating between finding a generator online for RNG or just capping my unit list at 20 and using the dodecahedron.

Last edited by PretenseAndPoison on Mon Aug 08, 2016 3:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 08, 2016 3:22 pm

You're welcome. ^_^ To be honest, I usually think that people would treat my randomization systems for strategy games to be pretty weird. They're definitely unconventional, but yeah. ;w;
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 9:00 am

I'm having some fun with this, it's been a good excersize in breaking the molds I've formed over the last decade of playing the game. Trying to come up with ways to better utilize potentially odd combinations f units and skills, something occurred to me that I would otherwise have never explored-

A Thief with Equip Crossbow and the knight skills as a secondary. A nice, agile unit with a good base movement/jump- having the ability to debuff a unit from medium range. They'd be able to break the opponents speed, magic attack, drain MP from charging casters, destroy equipment (or steal it if they were pinned at close range). Adding in Steal Heart to the mix makes this a potentially devastating saboteur! I'm totally going to try this build out on a different file.
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 10, 2016 10:36 pm

That does sound like a pretty odd yet powerful combo!

I won my last 2 battles with 2 regular chocobos on healing duty.
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 12, 2016 12:05 am

Chocobos MVP!!!!

There's always that moment of intense dread when you've started a new game, hit a battle in mandalia, and there's three chocobos just staring you down as the field comes into view. I'd nearly forgotten how quickly the chills spread through your limbs as you see them... Giant, feathery heralds of your doom. You try to run, but there's nowhere to go- your mana is gone, you're fatigued, low health- nothing you throw at them will work. You think you've gotten away.

*Wark*
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 16, 2016 11:05 pm

I'm kinda stuck at the execution trap stage. 8 vs 5 isn't all that fair. ; w; it doesn't really even look like Steal Heart works cause last time I tried the stage, I charmed one of the time mages to help me out, but all she did was slow herself, like what an idiot...
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 17, 2016 6:08 am

Oh man, you just have to love the AI in this game.
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 22, 2016 2:52 am

Just did another fight at the stage before the execution trap. I lost a person and a regular chocobo. Thankfully one of my characters jumped on the person's crystal and got speed break from it.

I've also been playing some Terraria sometimes. It's addictive in the way that once I start playing it, it's hard to stop. I usually play it if I just want to play something without using my brain haha.
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 23, 2016 11:01 pm

The execution trap is such a hard level. That's where things really start to ramp up, I think. That, and the dual switch waterfall thing.
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 24, 2016 2:54 am

I've been working on a separate file to play the Rendezvous on the WotL version with an old friend, and I'm sitting here for over an hour and a half, right? Boosting my stats, farming JP and increasing my Brave/Faith- just as I'm about to head up to Fovoham Windflats to degenerator trap my levels back down to the chapter average, I get in a fight in the Siedge Weald and my main thief gets wiped by skellies. There's no way to finish the fight, and I don't want to lose him, so I reset- only to remember that I haven't saved the entire time. I don't know why, because I'm so used to saving after every fight...

So I go to redo it, and forty-five minutes later realize that I forgot to put JP boost back on my characters, so I'm only a third of the way as far along as I should be for the level gain that time got me. Fml.

::Edit:Advancement: August 30th

Oh boy I remember that feeling of exasperation from that. That friend never did make it down for game night, so I just proceeded through the story and I'm heading down to Besselat now to rescue Orlandeau- here in chapter four, I've got to start taking careful consideration of what hidden treasures I'm going to want to get my hands on. The Invisibility gear for certain, and the various magic guns are likely a must- Midlights' Deep is going to be the big draw. Last time around I missed the Javelin II, the Golden Escutcheon, and the Cursed Ring. It's time to fix that mistake!
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 02, 2016 6:43 pm

Omg I finally beat the execution trap stage! I got kinda lucky cause on of the knights were using Hell Ivy, and noone got hit with Stop condition. There levels were like 18 and my main guy was at 27.

And wat, the treasures actually do things?
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 03, 2016 4:24 am

Congratulations! One of the worst feelings in the game is getting hung up on a particular level, but the relief of finally surmounting it is pretty nice!

Yes, the treasure tiles are the trapped slots on every map- most of the time, the treasure is mediocre, but once you get to chapter 4 the maps have some interesting (and in some cases, completely unique) goodies to pick up. There's always two options, though, and you can only loot the tile once- ever. To get the 'good' treasure, you need a character with a low Brave stat; your units' Brave stat is literally the percentage of getting the 'bad' treasure.

I just finished going through and getting the last of the good ones about twenty minutes ago- unfortunately, my second favorite unit (A geomancer named Constance I'd had the entire game) crystallized and I didn't even realize it until I'd already saved and moved on. Thems the breaks!
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 04, 2016 10:23 pm

Oh, I thought you were talking about something else. One time I got a treasure from a bar quest thing, but like there was nothing that said how it's useful or important, so I was like "why do I have this?"
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 05, 2016 3:33 am

Oh, the missions you can pick up from the Rumours section of the tavern are also pretty interesting- aside from the rewards in Gil and JP for your units, you can check out the lore behind the artefacts (including the Zodiac Stones and the Scriptures you gain over the course of the storyline) and Lands that you discover through your missions. They don't do anything practical for gameplay, but it's nice to have a little art and literature to appreciate when you need a minute or two to just chil after a frustrating encounter. Since the missions are a passive JP gain for your units (the only source of passive JP in the non-WotL release, aside from Spillover JP), you can keep your benchwarmers up to par when you have a dry spell for need of their roles. with the limitations of your randomizer, it might even be a good idea to go out of your way to send your units on missions while they're assigned to a class you want to grind.
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 12, 2016 2:41 pm

Ok so I made another Randomized Emerald video. It's the first rival battle, omg! Also, I know Brendon's "white hair" is actually a hat, I was being silly.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2016 3:29 am

Games games games!

Since this is Gaming General, I'm going to totally break off from whatever discussion was going on already and talk about something moderately unrelated.

Recently, my friend has really gotten into League of Legends, and it seems pretty fun. I've tried it out a couple of times (reviving an old account of mine that hadn't even gotten past level one) and I have to say it seems pretty cool. Though, I'll only be able to use the Free-To-Play characters for now, as I'm unwilling to spend money on 'em.
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2016 4:11 am

I just recently reinstalled LoL myself. I had gotten really deep into it (dropped well over a thousand dollars over the course of a couple years...) but the toxicity of the people I was playing with combined with life events drew me away from the game. Being back to just random queue is pretty nice though, now that I'm back on that account. After over a years' break, it's almost like playing an entirely new game.

My summoner name is Straemus if you want to shoot me a friend invite sometime?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Gaming General   Gaming General - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Gaming General

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next