The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeCalendarFAQRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger

Wealthy Lord Asssprite

Soroya123

Baron Von Aardvark

NinjaKitten

Spidey

Leo M. R.

W!tch

Westbrook

tylerouzts

Latest topics
» Paranatural Secret Santa!
Yesterday at 3:10 am by NinjaKitten

» Chapter Five
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:50 am by NinjaKitten

» Isabel can only be on good terms with one friend at a time
Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:46 am by NinjaKitten

» Other webcomics you read?
Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:02 am by NinjaKitten

» I have a lot to talk about...
Sat Sep 09, 2017 1:58 pm by PretenseAndPoison

» Monsters can draw too
Thu Jun 29, 2017 2:59 am by UniversalMonster

Statistics
We have 297 registered users
The newest registered user is apatheticsock

Our users have posted a total of 14099 messages in 341 subjects
November 2017
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | .

Lattice Station (a text adventure)

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:54 am

(How old is Silas anyway?)
>> Reply: Let's do another dive.
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:41 am

NinjaKitten wrote:
(How old is Silas anyway?)
(Olivia's mentioned she's known him for ~7 years and has spent so much time at his shop that she practically considers him like a father figure.  I left out a specific description because I was leaving it up to if you wanted to >>Examine or whatever, but he looks like a relatively young adult.  Given how long she's known him, Olivia assumes he's in his early thirties.)

~~~

A straightforward answer.  Silas has never been one to hold something back if you asked it of him, and after all this time you feel like he really does have your back.  Watching your starboard, so to speak.

>> Reply: Let's do another dive.

"Alright," you say, hopping down from the table, "I'm in.  Let's do another dive."

Silas chuckles and glances at his watch, then starts switching off the monitors and equipment around him.  "I'm not going to lie; I'm happy to hear you say that.  But nope!  I've got a store to run which has been suddenly and mysteriously closed for the last two hours, so I might have some damage control to do.  And the whole point of the Tuesday-/Thursday-/Saturday-night schedule was to take things slow to make sure you don't overdo it.  ...Which...didn't actually help, I guess."  He's quiet for a moment as he picks up a couple of the things he had swept onto the floor earlier, and puts them back neatly on the scanner table.  "Tell you what.  Head back to school so your teachers and mom don't get worried, and wear that crystal for the rest of today to make sure your sickness goes away.  If you're feeling fine afterward and still want to dive tonight, I'll...consider it.  Otherwise, I'll see you tomorrow as usual.  How's that?"

You nod assent and put the necklace on, tucking the crystal into your shirt next to your grandmother's locket.  (+2 necklaces in one day!  Score.)  You can almost feel a weird vibration coming from it, and your fatigue is practically gone, so that must mean it's working.  The two of you leave the workshop and enter the elevator, beginning the ascent back to ground level.

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:42 am

>>Go to school I guess
(>>Time skip to after school, maybe? Unless you think there could be some interesting things going on at school, that is.)
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Thu Apr 21, 2016 1:50 am

NinjaKitten wrote:
(>>Time skip to after school, maybe? Unless you think there could be some interesting things going on at school, that is.)
There could be, but this story's moving slow enough already. Cool Time skip is a perfectly valid option!

~~~

>> Go to school

You agree to Silas's terms and head back to school.  Silas re-opens the shop and goes back to work on the laptop.  It looks like there's no one around waiting on him to open up, so things are probably okay.  You glance at the time on your phone: nearly 11 am.  Silas did say his shop was closed for about two hours, so that must be how long you were unconscious.

The first thing you do upon getting to school is head to the office.  Only the secretary, Mrs. Noble, is there, and she recognizes you as you walk in.  "Olivia!  I heard you had an unexcused absense from your first two classes today; are you all right?"  "Sorry Mrs. Noble," you say, "I was feeling pretty sick this morning and wasn't sure if I should come in.  I'm feeling a lot better now, though."  (Technically not a lie, so it's something you can hold yourself to.)  Mrs. Noble nods and pulls out a roster.  "Okay, I'll mark you down for an excused sick absense for this morning.  I do hope you continue feeling better."  "Thanks," you say, walking back out.  Well, that's settled, and now the unexcused absense won't have them calling your mom later.  You can figure out what you missed in your two morning classes next time, too, so that pretty much wraps everything up.

The rest of the school day (lunch and then your two afternoon classes) passes without anything of relative significance happening.  Your friends ask where you were this morning, and you reply that you just weren't feeling well, and that's the end of it.  Though you try your best to pay attention in the rest of your classes, you're simply too distracted to focus on anything being taught.  So much has already happened today.  Silas already said you were well-attuned to magical energy, but to learn it could build up inside you and make you sick makes you think you're even more receptive to magic than you thought (which, hopefully, can only be good, barring getting sick again.)  Several times over the afternoon you catch yourself absent-mindedly feeling the shape of the crystal necklace through the front of your shirt.  It's a weird, scary, and invigorating feeling--that it's so important that you wear this simple crystal, that it's the only thing keeping you from feeling so horrible.  It's scary because it's true, that without it you could feel so tired and dizzy that you'd be useless.  It's awesome because it's MAGIC and it's keeping you from getting sick because you're MAGIC and oh god how cool is THAT?  You can easily take the bad with the good, you figure!

The final bell of the day rings, and you take off with everyone else.  It's about 3 PM and you're feeling pretty good now, so if you wanted to talk Silas into doing a dive tonight you could probably take it.  Though if that's the case, you should also probably text your mom first and let her know you'll be "working".

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Thu Apr 21, 2016 2:30 am

>>Don't I have some homework to do? (Might've done it in class, though.)
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:24 am

>> Don't I have some homework to do?

Not currently!  It's early September, so classes are really just getting ramped up.  You're also usually a good enough student that you get most everything done in-class so you don't have to take it home for homework.  There will probably be research papers come December or March or whatever but thank goodness you don't have to worry about that right now.

Your high school also does that A/B schedule thing so it's four 1.5-hour classes one day then four different 1.5-hour classes the next day.  Because of this, you always have two days to do homework when you get it.  Not that you ever put it off--you're a good student, and you usually do your homework right away so you're not stressing about it later.

You recall that in years gone past, you actually went to Berkman's Computer Repair to work on your homework every now and then.  Silas seemed to genuinely enjoy your company and would help you with some of the harder math stuff, since your mom was often working her own job and not around often enough to help you figure things out.  You were always so drawn to his store for some reason that you were happy just spending time there.  Of course, it all makes more sense now that you know about the Worldgem sitting in his basement radiating magical energy nonstop.

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Thu Apr 21, 2016 11:17 am

>>Go to Silas' place then
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Fri Apr 22, 2016 12:01 am

>> Go to Silas' place then

You decide to go see Silas again, and head straight to Berkman's Computer Repair.  The hours listed on his door are 7 to 4, so he'll probably be closing up shop soon.  As you walk in, you see him talking with a man you don't recognize at the front counter.  Silas peers around the man to see who walked in and says "Ah, I'll be with you in a minute."  They finish up their conversation and Silas hands the man the laptop you had seen him messing with earlier.  You hear the man offer his thanks as he turns and leaves the shop, passing you on the way out.  Silas is leaning on the counter as you approach, elbows on the counter, hands clasped together, and chin resting on top of that in his sort of 'I accomplished something today' mood you're used to seeing him in after a job well done.  "Little advice, Olivia; never mess with your Windows registry unless you know exactly what you're doing."

"I'll keep that in mind," you say with a slight grin, though in truth you're only pretty sure of what he's actually talking about.  Computers never struck you as particularly fascinating, but you have picked up a few tidbits loitering in a computer shop over the past few years.

Silas takes a breath and fully stands up.  "Well at any rate, it's good to see you in a brighter mood.  How are you feeling?"

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:25 pm

>>I'm feeling fine/great/not sick
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Fri Apr 22, 2016 10:57 pm

>> I'm feeling fine/great/not sick

"Fine," you say in a typical teenage fashion, followed up with "Great.  Not as sick as I was, anyway."  You put your hand over where the crystal necklace is.  "I can feel it's been working, I think.  It's really weird."

"I bet," Silas replied, subtly glancing around to make sure the store was still empty.  "Up until now all the magical energy you've dealt with has come from here, so I bet it's pretty jarring to have to deal with it in your normal life."  He pauses briefly before continuing.  "Well, since you're here, I assume you're following up on our chat from this morning.  I thought about it, and I've decided to lift the restriction on only diving on certain days.  You seem to be able to take care of yourself, and taking it easy didn't stop you from getting sick anyway.  I'm here every day regardless, so I'll leave your schedule up to you to decide."

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Sun Apr 24, 2016 1:32 am

>>Sure cool whatever let's just go already
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Sun Apr 24, 2016 4:03 am

(Warning: long post ahead!  There wasn't a good place to break it up, haha.)

~~~

>> Sure cool whatever let's just go already

You nod.  "In that case, let's go for it.  I'm ready."  Silas replies with a nod and mentions that he'll have to wait for 4 PM to close the shop.  It's already almost 4, so the two of you wait around for a few more minutes before he locks up and flips the signs on the front door over.  You both head again to the back storeroom, where Silas puts his hand on the normal-looking stone and the secret hand scanner opens the path to the elevator.  Taking it, you end up in the lab in the "basement".

The lab is generally split into three areas: Silas's workshop takes up roughly half of it on one side.  A window separates it from the other half, which is first generally an open area with the padded metal slab you lay on when diving.  The window has those "blast doors" you mentioned earlier, which serve to keep magical energy from passing through.  They're large sheets of metal that cover the windows, though they're probably laced with something to make them magic-resistant, if you had to guess.  There's not much else in the open area because everything else typically stays in the workshop, but there is a camera on the wall so Silas can keep an eye on you even when the windows are closed.

The other side of the open area is blocked off by more sheets of magic-resistant metal, and they're almost always closed.  Behind them lies the Worldgem.

You know the drill and immediately head for the slab thing, with Silas right behind you.  It's a straight, flat piece of metal that's about six feet long, currently tilted at a 45-degree angle, with a lot of pneumatic machinery underneath it that enable it to move.  There's light padding on it (because metal is uncomfortable), a flat piece that comes out perpendicular to the bottom for you to essentially stand on, and four braces that hold you in place so you don't fall off.  You hop on and lay back on it, wiggling a little to get yourself in a comfortable resting position.  "Oh, the crystal necklace," Silas remembers, and you take it off and hand it over for him to hold on to for now.

Silas clamps the braces shut: two at your feet, just below both knees, and two on your arms, just below your shoulders.  You can still move your arms below the elbow easily, and the braces are made in such a way that you could reach and open them if you really needed to.  "Just a second," he says, and heads to his workshop, coming back around the corner holding a couple of things with a trail of wires.  "I'll still trying to figure out how best to communicate with you and see what you see and do monitoring and all that, so please bear with me.  Got some earbuds first."  Two of the three wires he holds have what look like headphone earbuds attached to the ends of them.  He brushes your hair aside and places one in both of your ears.

He holds up the other one which looks like a patch attached to some wires and suddenly gets more flustered.  "And, um, this one's for biometrics, like heart rate, and so it, um..."  You put two and two together and see what he's getting at.  "Just do it, Silas; you know I don't mind," you say.  He seems to breathe a half-sigh of relief and pulls back the collar of your shirt, placing the patch just off-center above your left breast, near your heart.  You can tell a lot about a person based on how they react when they see your bra.

"Alright, I think that's everything," Silas says, heading back to his workshop and shutting the door.  His voice immediately comes through the earbuds: "Can you hear me?"  "Yep," you call back, bending your elbow to give a thumbs-up for the camera.  "Okay then.  Here goes."  Silas starts messing with his control panels, and the metal panels lower to cover his window entirely.  Your slab/table/chair-thing slowly rotates to face the doors hiding the Worldgem, and then tilts almost completely upright so that you're pretty much standing.

Slowly, the metal doors begin to rise.  As they do, you can outright feel the magical energy coming at you in strong waves, flowing out from under the rising door.  It's a whole lot like how a campfire radiates waves of heat, except in this case...it's not heat, it's just...well, it's something else.  It has its own kind of warmth and pressure that has nothing to do with temperature.  It's this kind of thing that, apparently, other people can't feel.

The doors finish rising and you see the Worldgem in all its glory.  It's a beautiful, large crystal that's about the size of your entire body, held in place by machinery that Silas created.  The moment you lay your eyes on it, you're transfixed.  It seems to contain every color in the rainbow all at once.  You feel your mouth slowly drop open, slack, as you're mesmerized by it, unable to turn away even if you wanted to.  You only glimpse it for a second before you succumb to its power pushing your consciousness from your mind.

~~~

You can feel your body being assembled particle by particle, by the same waves of magic that were pushing against you just moments before.  The first thing you notice is the heat.  You open your eyes to find yourself all alone, standing on sand.  Looking around, it's just sand everywhere--apparently a vast desert.  You take note of yourself and find that you're wearing a loose-fitting shirt and skirt, both a deep red color.  A wide-brimmed hat sits atop your head, shielding your eyes from the sun.  In your right hand you hold a wooden staff of some sort.  "Well this is a new one," you say to no one in particular.

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Sun Apr 24, 2016 3:21 pm

>>It seems I'm a desert shepard, or something. (Staff and hat and whatnot.)
>>Can I fly?
>>Can I summon desert sheep or something?
>>Let's see what my magic can do.
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:36 pm

>> It seems I'm a desert shepard or something
>> Can I summon desert sheep or something?

You clench the staff in your right hand and focus on it, trying to summon a sheep.  Moments pass, and nothing seems to happen.  You look around.  Just as well, you figure.  There's no grass here, so if you made a sheep appear it would probably starve to death anyway.

(You also suddenly remember that shepherd's crooks are typically curved on the end with which to wrangle their sheep, and yours is simply a long straight stick.)

>> Can I fly?

Your body does feel lighter than you're used to, either because it's made of magic or because of the situation you've been thrust into.  You look down and focus all of your thoughts on trying to fly upward.  Nothing happens at first, but then a little bit of sand starts to move outward from you in a circle, so you clench your teeth and redouble your efforts.  Your head begins to pound, but slowly, surely, your feet begin to leave the ground, and suddenly you're leviating about six inches off the ground.  You exhale the breath you didn't realize you'd been holding in and plummet back down.  It seems like flying might certainly be possible, but however you do it, it takes a lot of energy and it's quite a ways off for you.  You're pretty sure if you tried that again for any extended period of time you'd get a headache.

>> Let's see what my magic can do

"Well, this staff clearly does something," you say aloud, turning your attention back to it.  This time you close your eyes and focus not on the staff, but the flow of magic through it and you.  You somehow manage to connect with a line of magical energy, and push it out through your staff, where a small flame flickers into existence from the top of it.  You open your eyes and stare at it in wonder, and it fizzles a few seconds later.

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Sun Apr 24, 2016 10:41 pm

>>Jump
>>Walk a few steps
>>Lay on the ground
>>Try flying while crouched
>>Try manipulating sand
>>See if I can somehow magic-dash
>>Can I blot out the sun?
(>>Basically just mess around to get the feel of things, like figuring out the controls in a video game you haven't played in a while)
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:10 am

>> Jump
>> Walk a few steps
>> Lay on the ground

You generally move around to get a feel for your current body and outfit. It's really just your own body, interestingly enough, but seemingly made of magic and wearing some spiffy loose red robes. Everything seems normal.

>> Try flying while crouched

You crouch down and attempt to begin to fly again. It actually seems even harder when crouching than when standing, and you don't really manage to go anywhere.

>> Try manipulating sand

You look around at the sand and try to focus on it, then focus on it through your staff, but nothing appears to happen.

>> Can I blot out the sun?

You look up at the sun and feel its extreme warmth. You do feel like your magics are tied to the sun somehow, especially given the flame that appeared from your staff earlier. You reach up, but the sun seems too far away to be affected by anything you're trying to do.

>> See if I can somehow magic-dash

There's nothing but desert around you, so you pick a direction at random and start jogging. Faster and faster, you break into a run, your feet plowing through the sand dunes. You break into a flat-out sprint, and just as you think you're going as fast as you can, you feel yourself move just a little bit faster. You turn your head and see that you're leaving a small trail of quickly-vanishing flames behind you as you dash. Not feeling winded at all, you continue dashing for a while just to see how much ground you can cover.

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Wed Apr 27, 2016 1:57 am

>>Can I fly now? Like a comet or something? That'd be cool. (I like flying, it's convenient. Faster travel and I can tell where I'm going, usually.)
>>Can I somehow turn into a phoenix? Cloak myself in fire without turning to ash?
>>Do I get thirsty?
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Mon May 02, 2016 1:39 am

>> Do I get thirsty?

You do seem to be feeling the effects of the desert a little bit, but not overly much. Like, you could go for some water, but you also thing you'd be fine for the rest of the day if you didn't get any.

>> Can I somehow turn into a phoenix? Cloak myself in fire without turning to ash?

As you're dashing, you begin to concentrate on the magic energy around and within you, and easily--TOO easily, perhaps--your robes burst into flames and you become a fireball running through the desert. You're concerned at first that you overdid it, but while you can feel the heat, the fire's not burning you, and you also notice your robes aren't getting singed at all either.

>> Can I fly now?

Flaming and running full tilt, you leap into the air and try to concentrate on staying off the ground. You appear to defy gravity for quite a distance, but can't stay in the air forever. Still, that was a heck of a gliding jump.

You land with a strong PFFFF in one of the sand dunes. "I AM A MASTER OF FIRE" you yell to the unending desert, overly pleased with yourself. So cool.

You hear a strange whooshing noise, and turning your head, you notice a strange puddle of blackness about 100 feet to your right that seems to be pulsating oddly. You don't recall seeing it a moment ago when you landed...

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Mon May 02, 2016 2:03 am

>>SHOOT FIRE AT IT! I'M SOLAR POWERED I WON'T RUN OUT OF MP!
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Tue May 03, 2016 2:57 am

>> SHOOT FIRE AT IT! I'M SOLAR POWERED I WON'T RUN OUT OF MP!

You're not sure if you're suddenly hot-headed because of the fire magic coursing through your body, but you take an immediate stance of "shoot first, ask questions later (maybe never ask questions at all)" towards the darkness.  You immediately point your staff at the pulsing puddle of black, and a large fireball erupts from your it and flies right towards your target.  As it gets close, the darkness scatters outward from the center, and the fireball explodes against the sand.

You take a closer look, and almost as one, all of the blackness begins to group together and coalesce into a single being.  Before you, about a hundred feet away, is what looks to be a wolf colored as pitch black as the night sky.  Thin wisps of shadow seem to be floating from it, almost like smoke.  Could this be one of the Dusk monsters Silas mentioned was taking over his planet?  You've never actually seen one before...

It snarls at you--(it actually manages to make a snarling sound)--before turning tail and bounding off into the desert.

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Tue May 03, 2016 11:31 am

>>I should probably chase it, to make sure it doesn't try to eat anyone. If it looks like it's gonna do something bad, I'll try to trap it with a ring of fire.
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Wed May 04, 2016 12:50 am

>> I should probably chase it, to make sure it doesn't try to eat anyone. If it looks like it's gonna do something bad, I'll try to trap it with a ring of fire.

There's no one around, but you want to make sure you stay that way, so you give chase.  The shadow wolf starts running surprisingly fast--you start fire-dashing again just to keep up its pace.  It speeds up even further, seemingly pushing the limits of how fast it can run.  You speed up yourself, chasing it over dune after dune and finally onto a flat stretch of land, where it begins to tire out.

It has not, as of yet, attacked you, but you're all too ready to create a ring of fire should anything seem amiss.

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Wed May 04, 2016 1:57 am

>>Am I actually solar-powered or was that just an assumption
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Seeing Shades

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Wed May 04, 2016 2:39 am

>> Am I actually solar-powered or was that just an assumption

You look up at the sun as you approach the wolf.  You feel strong and steeped in magic of your own right, but now that you think of it, you do feel like the sun is subtly boosting your fire abilities.

...You kind of dismissed the whole "some sort of fire witch in a vast desert" as a thematic thing, but actually it sort of makes sense?  Like, if you had power over water, you'd probably be hella screwed right now.

>> ?
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Spectral

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   Wed May 04, 2016 2:41 am

>>Can I blow up the world? Hypothetically speaking, of course.
(Give me powers, and I'll fly around blowing stuff up, if I can, apparently.)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Lattice Station (a text adventure)   

Back to top Go down

Lattice Station (a text adventure)

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next