The Activity Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger
Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Vote_lcapAnyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Voting_barAnyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Vote_lcapAnyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Voting_barAnyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
Soroya123
NinjaKitten
Baron Von Aardvark
Spidey
Leo M. R.
W!tch
Westbrook
tylerouzts
Latest topics
» Chapter Seven
Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm by ThePyromaniac

» Hear me out... (BERG theory)
Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm by janusjekyll

» Hello Activity Club
Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am by janusjekyll

» Non-specific Greeting
Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm by Westbrook

» (slides in) Good Evening
Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm by Clayview

» I shout into the void
Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm by Clayview

Statistics
We have 325 registered users
The newest registered user is AL

Our users have posted a total of 14282 messages in 355 subjects
March 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Anyone here a video game maker?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 22, 2016 3:11 am

UniversalMonster wrote:
There's always some kind of fear and unsatisfiedness that I feel deep down when I try to focus solely on one project to make into a game. I don't really know what my problem is. I have lots of ideas about what it could be, but for some reason my brain just freezes up when I try to think about them. Like if my brain is tramatized by the thoughts or something.
I wouldn't say that's a problem; from everything I've seen of myself and others, that seems pretty normal actually.

A friend of mine once told me "Even if I'm wasting time, as long as I'm doing what I want to be doing, it's not time wasted." You don't have to do X amount of work a day or have a game done or partially planned by time Y. Just do what you want!
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 3:18 am

Yes. But you know, I also have that problem where stuff I do has to be PERFECT or I shouldn't even bother trying. It's, ah... it's actually part of the reason why I don't really write complete stories or draw much anymore. *shrug* I'm not sure what we can do about it though.
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Jul 24, 2016 2:06 pm

Well, I know there are things I like that aren't perfect even in the slightest. I could try figuring out how they work, which I do sometimes, but I think what's helped the most is just being conscious about the perfectionism and that you dont need things perfect or to always look correct. As long as people get the basic idea, then you should be able to get away with simplifying things or leaving stuff out.

Recently I read this short (but kinda suggestive) comic strip and in one panel, the top part of someone's arm was missing, and in another panel they didn't even draw the body of a person even though part of it would be in view. And the thing is, I didn't notice these things until after I looked over it a few times! The missing pieces didn't take away any vaule of the comic! (Like, I mean the comic was still able to do it's job of telling a short story.)
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 12:54 am

NinjaKitten wrote:
Yes. But you know, I also have that problem where stuff I do has to be PERFECT or I shouldn't even bother trying. It's, ah... it's actually part of the reason why I don't really write complete stories or draw much anymore. *shrug* I'm not sure what we can do about it though.
I know exactly what you mean. I used to write a ton of stories, and then I had an idea for one which meant a lot to me. It never got off the ground because I didn't want to screw it up by starting it.

Kinda sucks???
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 1:13 am

I WOULd say "you don't know unless you try" but that'd be a little hypocritical of me. X|
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Jul 25, 2016 2:31 am

Personaly I dont really like that phrase. "Hey man, you should totally take a dip in that lava over there!... what? You could burn to death? How do you know, you never tried it before! You could have the power to survive lava for all we know! Come on, you might like it!"

Anyway, I think the things that usually prevents us from working on or starting those projects are our fears and worryies connected to them. I don't know many people who can just push through their fears and go. The best thing to do would be to confront and understand the fears, and then try to debunk them sometimes. I think debunking is important, but I don't really do it that much. ; w;

With me and drawing for an example, I didn't draw much at first. I had these ideas and worries that I need to get good for people to like what I do, need to figure out a way to make money doing this, need to be professional looking and act professional, need to do anatomy studies (which i think is important, but i didnt want to just do it for a long period of time with noone seeing what im drawing), ect. I told myself that I'd get better the more I draw, which is true, but I still barely budged.

I had to kind of sit down, look at my fears, and I slowly reprogrammed how I thought. My main goal at the time was to find some way for me to just draw, cause not drawing was leading to nowhere. I thought "Hey, I don't really have a money situation since I live with my mother, so how about we worry about money later. If we focus on the drawing, then maybe we could be good enough to make money when the need for it comes along." This is me talking to my worries by the way; I personified them cause they are a part of me, and me treating them like someone I care about actually helps me care for them and stuff.

So I'm not in it for the money right now so I can focus a little more on drawing, still isnt enough. So then I really look at the stuff I liked and some things I know. There are alot of things I like that don't look good or wasn't so good in the beginning. As a beginner, I'm ALLOWED to suck, and I have to keep telling myself this even now. At my current skill level, I'm not gonna have good or even great art, but it's ok because if I keep at it, then it will definitely not be that way forever. Even if I fail at something, I'd feel bad about it, but it's not the end or everything. Just have to learn what whent wrong, what went right, and then try to do better next time.

So I my mind started shifting out of that "need to be professional" state, and now I've drawn more than twice of all I drawn last year! (Which isn't alot to begin with, but hey, I'm drawing frequently now!)

TL:DR (even though you probably should): It's best to try and understand your fear and worries about a thing if you can't push through the feelings to get the things you want done. Your fear doesn't intend to hinder you, it just wants to protect you from some type of physical or mental pain that you might face doing whatever it is you want to do. (Most times it's mental pain like loosing something or things being hard to do/stressful) If you can convince your feelings and worries that it's gonna be ok and worth it, then it will get way eaiser without your emotions kinda pulling against you.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Jul 28, 2016 1:10 am

Nice job getting yourself over that roadblock! I think that there's a lot of people who, when confronted with the same problem, would just give up since they can't bother to find a solution or to think about how they could resolve their internal dilemmas.
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Jul 29, 2016 2:11 am

I don't really know what makes me different from those people. Sometimes I still have to tango with my fears and worries. Like an hour before posting this, I read a businessy email about starting an online business, and of course money is a legitimate issue to me, but I just had to remind myself that money isn't really important to me. The most important thing is doing something that I'd love to do, and the more I do it then the better I'll become, and I'm already learning some things (and applying them) when it comes to drawing.

This is pretty off topic, and I have nothing to say about gamedev since I haven't worked on any since last time (I've been more focused on a comic I'm working on that's almost done.) But not very many people come to this thread so whatever ; w; I'll definately try to get some gamedev in next month as long as I'm not preoccupied.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 5:01 am

Sounds good to me. Though personally, I think that any activity within this forum is good activity (as long as nobody is attacking someone else or something) since there aren't too many really active people here.

Though staying at least a little on topic is definitely a good idea.
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Jul 30, 2016 3:43 pm

Yeah. Uh, either today or yesterday I made a little progress with Quest Dungoen Marathon. I made some plain square buttons for the title screen for New Game and Load Game buttons. I want the title screen to kinda reflect the game itself, so working on how it looks right now would be kinda pointless. I also made a room for after you click on the New Game button; has nothing in it though.

Also I got that comic basically finished now, so I might be able to do more in the gamedev category.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 02, 2016 11:37 pm

Nice!

As always, I'm still not doing anything relating to game development, or even coding in general.
(oh no there's caramel on my computer. *licks it up*)
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 8:23 pm

Here's something that I rewatched today (that I didn't know I watched before by the thumbnail and title) and I really find this kinda inspirational, at least with the part at the end.

Storytelling through games is a real interesting and cool concept. Since games can be interactive, you can feel like part of the story, or in the very least, that you have control over it so you can try and steer events to go the way you want.

A game where small scripts and systems working and colliding together to make unique stories and experiences for each player would, in my opinion, be epic to make and be right up my alley.

So I started thinking about what kind of game I could make that would use this well. I thought, "What would be great to tell stories with? An RPG, duh! You can even have smaller stories within the main one. But what would be the core of the game? What would I want to emulate? "

I went to do other things, but this was apparently in the back of head. I was playing Disgaea DS and thinking about video games, and I had this thought: "Man it would be great to have a game where like characters can act differently in battles if different things happen. Like if an ally dies during a battle, one party member gets angry and starts fighting more aggressively while another is more indifferent about it. And stuff where characters can stay and leave your party at will, that would be interesting." Then I realized that 'Hey! That could fit well with the whole scripts and systems thing!'.

So TL:DR, I'm adding a new project to my list. It's probably going to be a basic rpg, but how the characters act and react to the things happening around them will give players unique and personal stories throughout the adventure.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 9:19 pm

Sounds cool! Though at the same time it also sounds REALLY complicated and time-consuming to make, but what isn't? (At least, most things are time consuming if you try to make it any good.)
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 03, 2016 9:30 pm

Yeah it's probably going to be time consuming, but I dont really see it being that complicated. I see it as a bunch of little scripts happening in a scene to make it what it is.

So like basically I'm just scripting a bunch of little events. They'll activate together and stuff when they're called, and that's suppose to make the big event scene for me.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Aug 04, 2016 12:10 am

I see. *has lots more thoughts but does not know how to say them*
Back to top Go down
UniversalMonster
Seeing Shades
UniversalMonster

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Dec 31, 2016 5:38 pm

Haven't posted in here for a while. I'm probably not gonna focus on a gane for quite some time, since I'm trying to focus on my health most of all, but I guess I can still use this thread for game making thoughts. Here's a blog post that I made on tumblr, I'm just gonna copy/paste it.

Quote :
So last night I was thinking about Idle games and making one again. I don't really need to make one, but I for some reason wanted to, so I asked myself why.

First, I re-realized that idle games are best played when you're doing something else. So in breaks where you have free time, you can upgrade stuff and then let it do it's thing when you're busy again. Before that, in my imaginary idle game I was thinking about having cool stuff happen during the periods that you wouldn't be there to see them haha whoops.

Then the mind-blower happened. I felt like there was something I wanted that is missing in all the idle games I've played, but what was it? SURPRISE!... It was surprise haha. What I mean is that when you let the game go idle, you basically know what you'll come back to. You'll know exactly what will happen while you're not paying attention to it. What I want is to come back to the games to see that some random things have happened, what random loot did I pick up? It would add alot more variety to the experience, and can trigger surprises yay!

I'd also kinda like there to be some strategy in and idle game, but it should be something simple. Something that adds to the planning, but doesn't interfere with the "set it and forget it" style of gameplay. Anyway, the surprise thing was the main thing I wanted to share. Maybe I should make an idle game like that to get my fix.

Thanks for reading! If you liked this post, please leave a like, comment, and subscribe to my channel! See you guys in the next thing!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone here a video game maker?   Anyone here a video game maker? - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone here a video game maker?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3