The Activity Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger
Books, Glorious Books! Vote_lcapBooks, Glorious Books! Voting_barBooks, Glorious Books! Vote_rcap 
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Books, Glorious Books! Vote_lcapBooks, Glorious Books! Voting_barBooks, Glorious Books! Vote_rcap 
Soroya123
NinjaKitten
Baron Von Aardvark
Spidey
Leo M. R.
W!tch
Westbrook
tylerouzts
Latest topics
» Chapter Seven
Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm by ThePyromaniac

» Hear me out... (BERG theory)
Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm by janusjekyll

» Hello Activity Club
Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am by janusjekyll

» Non-specific Greeting
Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm by Westbrook

» (slides in) Good Evening
Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm by Clayview

» I shout into the void
Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm by Clayview

Statistics
We have 325 registered users
The newest registered user is AL

Our users have posted a total of 14282 messages in 355 subjects
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Books, Glorious Books!

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

Books, Glorious Books! Empty
PostSubject: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 12:25 am

Do you love books? I know I love books. Let us talk about our books together!
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 12:39 am

Where do you think my name comes from?
Back to top Go down
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 12:47 am

Yup, I was expecting to talk to you in this thread. It's been a while since I read the inheritance cycle, I think it's due for a re-read. Are they still as good as I remember?
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 12:50 am

Yep. Favorite book series at the moment.
Back to top Go down
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 12:55 am

Wonderful! I'll get right to them as soon as I finish Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next Series; wonderful books about a woman who travels inside the world of books. It's ridiculously meta and it makes it hard not to think about them when reading other books, So I can't really pick anything else up until I'm done with those lest I be constantly reminded that I left them unfinished. They really are great books though, up there with some of my favorites.
Back to top Go down
Vuanaunt
New Kid
Vuanaunt

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 1:41 am

I don't love books, but I do really enjoy some of them. My feelings are similar to those expressed in Fahrenheit 451, where books are just a medium to express ideas. It's not about enjoying books, but about enjoying the stories being told and the ideas shared.

That being said, my favorite is almost certainly "Looking For Alaska" by John Green.

Currently I'm enjoying "Catcher in the Rye" at a casual pace.
Back to top Go down
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 1:57 am

You're definitely a different sort of reader than I. I don't tend to stray towards literature of that nature except as part of a curriculum, though when I do I rarely regret it. Incidentally, I've heard many good things about Looking For Alaska, and I've been meaning to read catcher in the rye for a while now.

In any case, it seems to me that you have a respectable taste in books, and I must say that I like the way you think about it. I can only say that I love books because I find it hard to hate any piece of writing that isn't plagued by seas of grammar inaccuracies and the like. The power of the medium always astounds me.
Back to top Go down
Cleverdan
New Kid
Cleverdan

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 4:22 am

Man I haven't read in so long. Need to get back to tackling Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and the rest of the series as well.
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 4:31 am

I personally have the game of thrones box set sitting on my bookshelf, and I need to get around to picking those up and reading them. My bookshelf is actually so full that you have to pull out one book to reach the book behind it, haha.
Back to top Go down
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 4:55 am

Game of thrones, eh? I started reading that a while back, but then I fell asleep and never really picked it back up. I'd like to get into it given the chance, though. Apparently the beginning of the first book isn't known for being terribly interesting.
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 5:23 am

Von Aardvark wrote:
Wonderful! I'll get right to them as soon as I finish Jasper Fforde's Thursday Next Series; wonderful books about a woman who travels inside the world of books. It's ridiculously meta and it makes it hard not to think about them when reading other books

I've been meaning to get into that series for quite some time, actually. What's the first book of the series?

Also, does anyone else here read the Skulduggery Pleasant series?
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 3:01 pm

Leo M. R. wrote:
I've been meaning to get into that series for quite some time, actually. What's the first book of the series?

Also, does anyone else here read the Skulduggery Pleasant series?

I read the first 2, thought they were pretty good.

I just remembered, has anyone read the Book Thief?
Back to top Go down
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 3:06 pm

Leo M. R. wrote:
The first book is called The Eyre Affair. I hope you enjoy it! Very Happy
On that note, though I've never heard of it before, Skullduggery Pleasant, going by name alone, sounds like the sort of thing I'd like. Could you tell me more about it?
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Von Aardvark wrote:
Leo M. R. wrote:
On that note, though I've never heard of it before, Skullduggery Pleasant, going by name alone, sounds like the sort of thing I'd like. Could you tell me more about it?

Thanks! Will do... Some day... (Currently stuck in Discworld...)

If you enjoy some urban fantasy detective magic action that's not too heavy but has Loads and Loads of Characters, then you'll most likely enjoy Skulduggery Pleasant. Here's the basic premise:

He's a wise-cracking know-it-all skeleton detective sorcerer with a gun. She's a badass teenage girl who inherited a huge mansion, loves to snark, and cause trouble. They fight crime! (and evil gods too)
Back to top Go down
Tren
New Kid
Tren

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 5:57 pm

Recently I picked up Holly Black's Curse Workers and finished the series in no time flat.
The writing is fairly good bordering on mediocre, and the characters are pretty great: case in point, the main character is an amateur conman. He's excellent.

In other news, I'm desperately in need of something to read. At the moment I'm going over some old books that I've already read.
Back to top Go down
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 7:03 pm

Leo M. R. wrote:
Von Aardvark wrote:
Leo M. R. wrote:

Thanks! Will do... Some day... (Currently stuck in Discworld...)

If you enjoy some urban fantasy detective magic action that's not too heavy but has Loads and Loads of Characters, then you'll most likely enjoy Skulduggery Pleasant. Here's the basic premise:

He's a wise-cracking know-it-all skeleton detective sorcerer with a gun. She's a badass teenage girl who inherited a huge mansion, loves to snark, and cause trouble. They fight crime! (and evil gods too)
Discworld, huh? Sounds like you and I have a lot of the same tastes, especially considering that skullduggery sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'd like. Thank you very much!

As for Tren, what sort of genre are you into? I could probably recommend something if I knew that.
Back to top Go down
Tren
New Kid
Tren

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 7:32 pm

Von Aardvark wrote:
As for Tren, what sort of genre are you into? I could probably recommend something if I knew that.

Literally anything but romance novels.
Dear god, if you search ANY genre (And I mean any) you will find 90% romance novels.
Back to top Go down
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:20 pm

Hm. How versed are you in the classics? Most people have read most of these, but some of my favorites are:

• Of Mice and Men
  • Lord of the Flies
  • Animal Farm
  • To Kill a Mockingbird

Barring those, The Secret Series by Pseudonymous Bosch is a good read. They're adventure novels with a slightly sci-fi taste. The first book is called The Name Of This Book Is Secret.
A good book I've read recently is Walter Moers' The Alchemaster's Apprentice. It's about an alchemaster and his pet Crat, which is essentially a talking cat with two livers.
Moers' other books are also quite good, though my favorite of the bunch, Rumo, is once again largely romance based. I'd hesitate to call it a romance novel, though, as the main character's quest for love is more directed towards forwarding the adventure part of the plot then it is there just to be mushy.

If you'd like to know more about any of these, don't hesitate to ask.
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:21 pm

I've read Animal Farm and the first three books in the secret series. I don't know if it continued past the third one or not?
Back to top Go down
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:24 pm

It's five books long so far and I believe a sixth one is due soon, but it may just be an unrelated book by the same author.

Nevermind, it's an unrelated book by the same author. It seems interesting, though. It's called Write This Book, and I'm told it's coming soon to a pencil near you.
Back to top Go down
Soroya123
Paranaturalist
Soroya123

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:43 pm

Asssprite wrote:
I personally have the game of thrones box set sitting on my bookshelf, and I need to get around to picking those up and reading them. My bookshelf is actually so full that you have to pull out one book to reach the book behind it, haha.

Oh god, I love Game of Thrones but they are so DENSE! It is literally impossible to pick up from where you left off if you skipped reading for a few days!

I am an avid reader. Right now I'm reading the Summer King by Alaya Dawn Johnson (which is pretty good!) I've also read Seraphina by Rachel Hartman and Un Lun Dun by China Mevile recently. I'm a BIG fan of fiction, but I like some non fiction too Smile
Back to top Go down
http://soroya123.tumblr.com/
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:45 pm

I can tell you're an avid reader, because I've never heard of any of those! Very Happy
What are they like?
Back to top Go down
Soroya123
Paranaturalist
Soroya123

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:55 pm

The Summer King is great! It's set in a post apocalyptic Earth, but still has technology. The main character is a girl from Brazil, in a New City called Palmas Tres. It's a relatively new book, so it's not surprising that you wouldn't know it Smile

Un Lun Dun is sort of like a nightmarish and modern Alice in Wonderland themed book with pretty fresh ideas and plot twists!

And last but not least Seraphina is also a new book. A sort of parallel earth in the Victorian era (or what would be the Victorian era...) It is a bit steampunk but the writting style is AMAZING! Oh and there are dragons, who coexist "peacefully" with humans, but there is A LOT of tension, so the relations between the two races are strained.
Back to top Go down
http://soroya123.tumblr.com/
Baron Von Aardvark
Paranaturalist
Baron Von Aardvark

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 12:27 am

Those all sound great, Seraphina in particular. All three are going on my "To read" list immediately. Thank you very much! Very Happy

Last edited by Von Aardvark on Sun Mar 31, 2013 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typos galore.)
Back to top Go down
WhoShallRemainNameless
New Kid
WhoShallRemainNameless

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 2:27 am

I adore Harry Potter and will probably never get tired of it. I'm reading LOTR for a class I'm taking- I know, it's the best- and I really love it, though The Hobbit will always be my favorite. I'm currently reading Game of Thrones which is amazing. A favorite author of mine is Garth Nix but people tend not to have heard of him, which is a bummer.
Back to top Go down
http://thedoctorwhorunsalone.tumblr.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Books, Glorious Books!   Books, Glorious Books! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Books, Glorious Books!

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Activity Club :: Mayview Middle School :: Media Club-