The Activity Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturology 101 Vote_lcapParanaturology 101 Voting_barParanaturology 101 Vote_rcap 
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturology 101 Vote_lcapParanaturology 101 Voting_barParanaturology 101 Vote_rcap 
Soroya123
NinjaKitten
Baron Von Aardvark
Spidey
Leo M. R.
W!tch
Westbrook
tylerouzts
Latest topics
» Chapter Seven
Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm by ThePyromaniac

» Hear me out... (BERG theory)
Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm by janusjekyll

» Hello Activity Club
Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am by janusjekyll

» Non-specific Greeting
Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm by Westbrook

» (slides in) Good Evening
Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm by Clayview

» I shout into the void
Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm by Clayview

Statistics
We have 325 registered users
The newest registered user is AL

Our users have posted a total of 14282 messages in 355 subjects
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Paranaturology 101

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
Paranaturist
New Kid
Paranaturist

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 11:37 pm

Zack's establishing a world with a well-defined set of mechanics and rules that will eventually explain everything we've seen. But there's still unsolved paranatural phenomena that demand examination!

Max starts wondering about how coincidental it is that a spirit with paint powers ended up in a paintbrush, and a spirit with paper powers ended up in a book, and extrapolating, why a spirit with magnet powers ended up in a metal bat. Johnny interrupts that line of thought, but it's a good question.

Possible answers might include:
Dying spirits are drawn to objects that resemble their powers
Spirit's powers are filtered and modified by the object
It's just a coincidence, ya dingus

Why isn't the world filled up with insect ghosts?

Probably:
Only people make ghosts

Let's hear any more paranatural questions that you guys have, and your speculative answers!
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 11:43 pm

First of all: Why are they hiding the existence of spirits? It's clearly not anything new, so unless there is a reason to hide, spectrals would be openly superpowered people. My guess is that it would lead to attempts to engineer spectrals, which would result in attempts to mass-produce tools, which would lead to spirits poltergeisting and killing regular humans, but there could be another more sinister reason.
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 11:45 pm

Secondly: have spirits, acting through spectrals, influenced culture in any way? I'm almost entirely certain they would, but theres no indication that most of the world is any different from out own. What's up with that?
Back to top Go down
W!tch
Mag!c
W!tch

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 12:10 am

My theory for the whole "Tool-Power Coincidence" is that spirits are naturally drawn to objects or people that would best suit their powers.

For instance, Whale Frog. His power was to pull out reflections of things. He went into a plunger. What do plungers do? Pull things out of things! It all makes sense.
Back to top Go down
Cleverdan
New Kid
Cleverdan

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 1:08 am

Asssprite wrote:
First of all: Why are they hiding the existence of spirits? It's clearly not anything new, so unless there is a reason to hide, spectrals would be openly superpowered people. My guess is that it would lead to attempts to engineer spectrals, which would result in attempts to mass-produce tools, which would lead to spirits poltergeisting and killing regular humans, but there could be another more sinister reason.

I believe we'll get some answers on that front when we meet whatever group Spender is dealing with and/or working for.
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 5:09 am

Paranaturist wrote:
Why isn't the world filled up with insect ghosts?

Probably:
Only people make ghosts

Let's hear any more paranatural questions that you guys have, and your speculative answers!

I doubt this explanation. Here you can see Isaac basically confirming the existence of bat ghosts. Of course, it hasn't been conclusively proven yet (Isaac may only have been attempting to explain the ghost-spirit distinction in simpler terms to the newcomer, Max), so who knows.

I like to think that bug ghosts are eaten or destroyed by the larger spirits. In this page the Sphinx says "ghosts", not "spirits", and in the very next sentences it mentions "consumption" as well as "delicious", therefore proving that at least some spirits eat some ghosts.
Back to top Go down
Cleverdan
New Kid
Cleverdan

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 11:09 am

Yeah, anything living makes ghosts it seems.

I'm gonna say the insect ghosts live below the earths surface. Why not?
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:05 pm

Maybe only mammals make ghosts, who knows.
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 2:10 pm

Considering that the first spirit max killed was a problem because it was eating ghosts/spirits, I would say that its almost definite that spirits can eat ghosts and weaker spirits. I'm assuming this results in some sort of dramatic increase in power, because it's pretty clear that spirits only die if they don't tool up or possess someone.
Back to top Go down
The Chosen One
New Kid
The Chosen One

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 01, 2014 4:02 am

Wealthy Lord Asssprite wrote:
Secondly: have spirits, acting through spectrals, influenced culture in any way? I'm almost entirely certain they would, but theres no indication that most of the world is any different from out own. What's up with that?

I haven't gotten the impression that the normal side of this world is exactly like our own at all. Pretty much anything that appears outside the main plot is strange in some manner, like the wall posters*, the products in Max' Dad's shop, the over-the-top personalities of nearly every character, and even the unusual layout of the town itself; but these could all just be attributed to Mayview being inherently kind of weird in a sort of plausible and ultimately semi-realistic manner.

The point is, we haven't really seen enough of the non-spectral world to say either way. Personally, I expect to see more kinds of cultural oddities if/when Max finally visits Baxborough.

(*Death by a Salesman sounds especially like the kind of influence you're asking about, but there's no hard evidence it has anything to do with spirits, and we have no reason to believe it's not just Mr. Starchman being a terrible English teacher)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Paranaturology 101 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Paranaturology 101   Paranaturology 101 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Paranaturology 101

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Activity Club :: Comic :: Speculation-