The Activity Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger
What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Vote_lcapWhat the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Voting_barWhat the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Vote_lcapWhat the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Voting_barWhat the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Soroya123
NinjaKitten
Baron Von Aardvark
Spidey
Leo M. R.
W!tch
Westbrook
tylerouzts
Latest topics
» Chapter Seven
What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm by ThePyromaniac

» Hear me out... (BERG theory)
What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm by janusjekyll

» Hello Activity Club
What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am by janusjekyll

» Non-specific Greeting
What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm by Westbrook

» (slides in) Good Evening
What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm by Clayview

» I shout into the void
What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm by Clayview

Statistics
We have 325 registered users
The newest registered user is AL

Our users have posted a total of 14282 messages in 355 subjects
May 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

What the reason behind your name?

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 3:39 pm

Blood and guts everywhere
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 11:41 pm

SoupScum wrote:
NinjaKitten wrote:
My real name (which shall remain a secret) was based off of a lot of things, apparently. It's a month, and has something to do with flowers, and is related to some sort of creative person too. Plus it's a family name. So, I guess there's a lot of background to it? But I mostly just ignore that background. To me, it's just my name!

isyourrealnamemay
April, May, or June probably. Cool
Back to top Go down
OntheCeiling
New Kid
OntheCeiling

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 11:44 pm

SoupScum wrote:

Yeah, most meaning with names tends to fade. The people who consider their names to be particularly significant are often either painfully arrogant or in an innocent minority. Safe to say you're not unusual for not swelling with pride every time your name is mentioned.

My real name has two different meanings, and I go by the one which is "worse". It's the kind of person I am. I get angry when people don't get my name correct, and never bother to learn other people's names IRL unless I feel like it.
Bottom line, I am the 1%
Back to top Go down
SoupScum
New Kid
SoupScum

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 1:32 am

Westbrook wrote:
SoupScum wrote:
NinjaKitten wrote:
My real name (which shall remain a secret) was based off of a lot of things, apparently. It's a month, and has something to do with flowers, and is related to some sort of creative person too. Plus it's a family name. So, I guess there's a lot of background to it? But I mostly just ignore that background. To me, it's just my name!

isyourrealnamemay

Okay, those are the three months that are common female names.
I guess there's "April showers bring May flowers", but even in that saying, May is the month with flowers.
May has mayflowers and may (ehehehehehehehehe) be related to some sort of creative person.
June isn't really related to flowers, except for the june bug, but that eats leaves.

So May is the only surefire name/flower/month, probably? I'm either missing something obvious with the creative types or am just too lazy to actually look into it. Actually, both.

I'm placing bets on May, and if I'm wrong, you can mock me openly and/or pelt me with virtual stones*.
I mean you could do that anyway but I'm less likely to insult you this way

*I guess real stones would work, too, if you managed to find my address. You stalker.
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 3:15 am

SoupScum wrote:
Westbrook wrote:
SoupScum wrote:
NinjaKitten wrote:

isyourrealnamemay

Okay, those are the three months that are common female names.
I guess there's "April showers bring May flowers", but even in that saying, May is the month with flowers.
May has mayflowers and may (ehehehehehehehehe) be related to some sort of creative person.
June isn't really related to flowers, except for the june bug, but that eats leaves.

So May is the only surefire name/flower/month, probably? I'm either missing something obvious with the creative types or am just too lazy to actually look into it. Actually, both.

I'm placing bets on May, and if I'm wrong, you can mock me openly and/or pelt me with virtual stones*.
I mean you could do that anyway but I'm less likely to insult you this way

*I guess real stones would work, too, if you managed to find my address. You stalker.
Oh, I didn't realize they were all talking about the same thing.  I thought she meant her entire name put together had those properties (surnames are "family names" so that seemed like an easy one) and the others perhaps referred to middle names.

My first name came about because my father heard it in a movie once and really liked it, but that's all you're going to get out of me. =P
Back to top Go down
SoupScum
New Kid
SoupScum

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 4:36 am

That possibility hadn't occurred to me, actually. That may be the case. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

My real name has a few different meanings, but I don't bother interpreting beyond what my parents have confirmed. I just can't care about it that much. Doesn't really matter, anyway, since I typically just go by a meaningless nickname.
Alright, it's not actually meaningless, but the actual denotation is cringeworthy enough that I much prefer my parents' explanation of the choice. That being, the nickname was "unique and cool-sounding" enough to be used.

Last edited by SoupScum on Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 5:03 am

I find it amusing that people are trying to guess what my real name is.

And by people I mean two of 'em who obviously have too much time on their hands.
Back to top Go down
SoupScum
New Kid
SoupScum

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 7:26 pm

NinjaKitten wrote:

And by people I mean two of 'em who obviously have too much time on their hands.

COINCIDENCE?!
Back to top Go down
OntheCeiling
New Kid
OntheCeiling

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 9:33 pm

SoupScum wrote:
NinjaKitten wrote:

COINCIDENCE?!
COME ON WE CAME FROM A GRAVITY FALLS FORUM THERE'S NO WAY YOU'RE GOING TO GET A "NO" ANSWER OUT OF ME

is the name January

Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 11:07 pm

OntheCeiling wrote:
is the name January
Have you seen Parks and Rec?

It's clearly November.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 1:29 am

*laughs loudly enough to disturb the cats*

Unfortunately for you, it IS a coincidence. I've never really been a part of Gravity Falls' fandom, though I've seen a few episodes and it really is a pretty good show. (I held ctrl instead of shift twice when writing that "IS"... I feel ashamed/inept.)
Back to top Go down
PretenseAndPoison
Seeing Shades
PretenseAndPoison

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 23, 2016 2:37 am

For me, PretenseAndPoison has a few distinctive personal attachments. When I was a youngin', I went through a lengthy phase where I wouldn't tolerate dishonesty in any form (which got me in plenty of trouble indeed). Truth be told, literature had a profound effect on my life. Reading, language skills, and creative writing were basically the only thing that kept me interested in learning at all, which made me work harder to ensure that those privileges weren't taken away. In the end, it was literature that preserved my life- specifically, philosophy. Camus' debate with Kierkegaard, to be even more specific.

When I commit to the written word, I feel a much different attachment than I do with vocal conversation. Assigning something visual permanence that detaches from your own being, yet still represents you- it's just heavy. Potentially, especially in the modern age, anything you write down or type will inevitably outlast you. The truest representation of yourself is the words you choose- and language is the most intimate picture of your circumstances. Accents, dialects, colloquialisms, slang- the way you interact with words is a vast and colorful topography that shows those who care to see who you are. And in that web of vibrant hues, the mortar betwixt the bricks that lay your verbal (I just love the word 'verbal', btw- to define speech as the action in which you project a word) foundation, there is another rainbow of complexity. Lies.

Lies, in the end, are just words with different context. To serve their own purpose, yet be perceived with a shroud of distrust- that a lie is considered a toxin within your representation of self is an idea that I was brought up on- a predisposition that shaped my ability to perceive that which ignited my most beloved passion. To me, lies had always seemed exclusively a poison- but I've since grown past that pretense.

It's also my Town of Salem username, which was the first place I ever combined those ideas to an elegant moniker. When I joined this forum I was rather excited at the prospect of scoping out the RP threads, and since fiction is a form of playful lie, that username came to mind.

As for my real life name, that also has an interesting story with similar elements. This post is pretty long, though, so I'll leave out the soul-bearing and drop a TL;D(Say)- My birth name was intended to be Crystal, wound up something else because of a last-second surprise, and that name has long since died, remaining only for paperwork while other paperwork is filed.

I also have never watched Gravity Falls, but I was in close enough proximity to their fandom that I really should go scratch that nagging curiosity. Oh how I love puzzles and lore...
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 24, 2016 3:25 am

From what I've heard, if you like lore and puzzles and mysteries, you should definitely check out Gravity Falls. I haven't watched it much myself, but it seems fairly interesting if you're willing to put in the time. Personally, I've given myself a HUGE list of anime to watch which I still haven't completed, so I should get around to doing that sometime, and really can't afford to heap yet another show on top of it all.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What the reason behind your name?   What the reason behind your name? - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What the reason behind your name?

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
The Activity Club :: Mayview Middle School :: Hall Talk-