The Activity Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger
Chapter Five - Page 3 Vote_lcapChapter Five - Page 3 Voting_barChapter Five - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Chapter Five - Page 3 Vote_lcapChapter Five - Page 3 Voting_barChapter Five - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
Soroya123
NinjaKitten
Baron Von Aardvark
Spidey
Leo M. R.
W!tch
Westbrook
tylerouzts
Latest topics
» Chapter Seven
Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm by ThePyromaniac

» Hear me out... (BERG theory)
Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm by janusjekyll

» Hello Activity Club
Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am by janusjekyll

» Non-specific Greeting
Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm by Westbrook

» (slides in) Good Evening
Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm by Clayview

» I shout into the void
Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm by Clayview

Statistics
We have 325 registered users
The newest registered user is AL

Our users have posted a total of 14282 messages in 355 subjects
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Chapter Five

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
treadway
New Kid

Chapter Five - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 18, 2015 10:37 am

Oh man, I didn't even pay attention to Max's armbands. North and South poles.
Back to top Go down
Apophyllite
Seeing Shades
Apophyllite

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 19, 2015 3:16 pm

RJ has a talent for gathering balls...
From what I can tell, this is the last time the golden switch was in the comic, so it's probably just been around off panel 'till now.

Maybe Max is standing like that because he's replacing Stephen in the ultimate hitball friendship formation >_>

Also, for someone being possessed by a fire spirit, Johnny sure got seriously burned there No Emotion AT ALL
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 1:55 am

Thank you for linking the pages guys, it makes reading these topics so much easier. Razz

(Page 5.57)

Also:

AHA
THIS IS WHY STEPHEN WAS WRITTEN INTO DETENTION
PROBABLY
Whatever plan they've got requires 4 people, and with Stephen away from the game, Max has to take his place in Johnny's inner circle.  I really hope this is the case, because I've sure been wondering for a while what was up with that!
Back to top Go down
Lincide
New Kid
Lincide

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 10:29 am

I agree that it seems that Max joining in Johnny's group is why Stephen was written out. Although I can't exactly see what purpose the formation has other than maybe to block shots from Johnny that Cody might throw? And also Isabel is getting rather violent towards Jeff, wow.

...RJ's face there will be the end of me, I swear.
Back to top Go down
MetaGiga
New Kid
MetaGiga

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 12:24 pm

I'm waiting and waiting for Johnny to start throwing like fireballs or something tbh lol. Also, I hope evil Jeff doesn't take control of Isabel. That'd be pretty bad
Back to top Go down
LavenderDreamer
New Kid
LavenderDreamer

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 3:02 pm

Ok, so... I hope that Cody won't hit Johnny with this ball. I don't want him to go to the bleachers to feel baaad, I want him to be in the game and be funny. And make something fire-related, ya know.

Isabel, woho-hooo easy theere! (just kiddin, come on, girl, blast this spirit out of Jeff, you can do it!)
I just wrote Jegg for the mistake and I just... jEGG... Egg... No Emotion AT ALL

And RJ's face. Their face. I just can't. (btw I'm wondering if we'll ever see them without the hoodie because I'd really want to)
Back to top Go down
http://lavenderdreamer13.tumblr.com/
Apophyllite
Seeing Shades
Apophyllite

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 3:29 pm

Oh no RJ, you gave away the plan with your trollface D:
Time for Max to use some blocking skillz?

Though maybe it's a double distraction thing and RJ is going to hit cody with the golden switch while he's distracted by Johnny...

Looks like Isabel is tired of playing by the rules, Jeff is too dangerous to allow him to try again. Or maybe she's just gonna do something nonviolent, the comic is pretty full of twists like that.

I just spelled his name as Jess... I think it's contagious, LavenderDreamer I do declare!
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 21, 2015 8:33 pm

Jeff's "Heh heh.  Careful." in the final panel makes me wonder--is it a statement that such violence isn't allowed in school and whats-her-nose is nearby, or is it more of a warning that whatever's possessing Jeff can jump to people that are depressed/angry, like Isabel's becoming? I mean, that hasn't been confirmed, but in some topic somewhere we were thinking it.
Back to top Go down
Apophyllite
Seeing Shades
Apophyllite

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Aug 22, 2015 8:03 am

I think it's more along the lines of the threat he made to the VP, like "you don't want to hurt this poor innocent boy to get to me do you?". It didn't work at all on the VP but Isabel may be more susceptible...

Though this sorta makes me wonder, since the spirit seemed to assume the VP knew Jeff is being controlled. And after he said it, she reacted like she realized something.
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Aug 23, 2015 11:47 pm

I might've noticed something else.

In page 5.49, the thing controlling Jeff refers to Isabel as "the Guerra child". I see two possibilities from this:

1) If the thing controlling Jeff DOES have access to Jeff's memories, it would explain knowing her name. But if so, why didn't it know anything about the VP? Everyone else was all "OH NO THAT POOR KID" but he seemed to see right through it and was unfazed, yet still didn't seem to know much about the VP.
2) If the thing controlling Jeff DOESN'T have access to Jeff's memories, then it knowing who the Guerras are just became a whole lot more important to the plot. But if so, how did Jeff know to yell for Cody?

I'm thinking it's probably situation #1, but I didn't want to immediately discount the possibility of situation #2.
Back to top Go down
Apophyllite
Seeing Shades
Apophyllite

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 24, 2015 1:09 pm

Could be it knows her name from having it announced at the start of the game.

Also, some time passed between the possession and Gym CLass, at least 2 periods, so it may have gotten to know about the friendship between Jeff and Cody. Though I guess it is possible the spirit does get Jeff's memories, since how else would it know to mention Star Wars when Cody felt something was wrong with Jeff.

As for the VP: maybe she is a medium to a spirit that can make people believe the disguise is real, but spirits are unaffected :0
This would also explain her bizarre anatomy >_>

Or everyone is just really dedicated to pretending not to notice... Ed But With No Face
Back to top Go down
LavenderDreamer
New Kid
LavenderDreamer

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 25, 2015 6:17 am

Ok, here's the new page! 5.59

What I can say is... SUZY. yes. HELLO FRIENDS It's amazing.

Also, wow, we know something more. Still not much but much more. (hehheh)

Ollie, noooo don't do it! (welp, Ollie is out probably)

And Max is just posing there.
Back to top Go down
http://lavenderdreamer13.tumblr.com/
Connorses
New Kid
Connorses

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 26, 2015 10:10 am

Hi, Jack!

Sorry, somebody had to do it.
Also, OLLIE CATCH THE BALL C'MON YOU CAN DO IT!

I have one more theory: VP is a medium. Her weird, inhuman nose is a result of her possession. But mostly I say this because even for the way Zack writes, it's a bit of a stretch to think that gym class would be fooled by a big camouflage blanket. Maybe she was actually using some supernatural illusion power!
Back to top Go down
SecretlyAMoose
New Kid
SecretlyAMoose

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 12:43 am

Reasons to love the latest update:
1. Suzy being freaking incredible as always.
2. Incredibly dynamic panels (like wow)
3. DOUBLE PAGE LENGTH HITBALL HYPE
4. Dragon-Ball-Z Protagonist's introduction as potential favorite side character ("Rising Revengeance" is absolute gold)
Back to top Go down
Lincide
New Kid
Lincide

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 9:24 am

The question now is what exactly will Cody do now that Jeff is out? Or what will Max, Johnny, and RJ do? The dangerous part of the game is practically over. Maybe Coach Oop will take the time to conveniently intervene after receiving a rude awakening from Violet. Maybe this means we could easily move to the next part of this chapter and get out of this hitball arc. How long has it been? 35 pages?
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat Sep 05, 2015 9:06 pm

Lincide wrote:
Maybe this means we could easily move to the next part of this chapter and get out of this hitball arc. How long has it been? 35 pages?
While it's been cool, this arc seems like the most...unbelievable part of Paranatural thus far.  The whole theatrical concept of "Suspension of Disbelief" is when you're like "Ok, this isn't real, but it's sci-fi or it's fantasy and as long as I pretend it all works then this story is awesome."  It goes hand-in-hand with one of my favorite quotes--the thing about science fiction is that it has to make sense.  (I think that's a play off of an old Mark Twain quote but same difference really.)

My point is, all of this is happening within the confines of a hitball game.  Dmitrii could have just been like "yo there is some weird stuff going on, I'm not leaving the game, screw that" but he didn't.  All their wacky planball strategies are in the name of staying in line with a sports rulebook.  What is taking Jeff out of the game really going to accomplish?  Is Hijack just going to be like "Well darn I've been hit, my plan is utterly foiled, guess I should just give up because I've been hit by a foam ball even though multiple people know I'm not really Jeff"?  My suspension of disbelief is getting shattered here.

Sorry for the rant, but my point is that spirits and spectrals seem far more believable than the current arc, and since Paranatural is pretty much my favorite webcomic right now, it makes me sad despite how awesome it all is.
Back to top Go down
Ilmarinen
New Kid

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 12:45 am

Cody let his eye off the Golden Snitch. Unless he can change direction mid-air, it's over.

More importantly, go Suzy!
Back to top Go down
Apophyllite
Seeing Shades
Apophyllite

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 06, 2015 9:11 am

Yesss! (ノ◕ヮ◕)ノ*:・゚✧ go Suzy! (she must have some serious back muscles to keep that pose for so long without supporting herself with her arms)
That face after Isabel's thumbs up though XD

Westbrook, I sort of agree... Some of the parts of this arc just feel kinda too over the top. Like Cody's almost supernatural ability to effortlessly dodge everything and the whole VP thing (if it isn't actually a paranatural thing).

The planball thing I can just about accept though, because so far, the spirit seems to stick to the rules. The whole paranatural thing is still supposed to be secret so they're trying to deal with the situation in a "normal" way untill Gymclass is over and they can deal with the spirit somewhere away from people who aren't supposed to know. As mentioned here by Dimitri. If Jeff was just rampaging they probably wouldn't go through the effort to stick to the hitball rules...
I think Hijack is likely to still go along with it though, since he really doesn't seem to want Jeff to get into too much trouble...

And whatever plan they had to deal with the spirit is likely going to fail since this page seems to suggest that Hijack manages to take over one of the teachers, I think...

Oh! Now that I look at the title page again, I just noticed; While there's a whole puppeteering theme going on, the hand holding the strings is a human hand and not Hijack's hands. Though I guess that could be an artistic thing... Also there's a bar...

Also, this is sorta speculation but still kinda part of chapter 5 so hopefully still on topic:
Here Hijack mentions he's on a quest of revenge. We know that he needs to get to the Principal's Office for this. This guy in the last panel is probably there and may be the same person as this guy who is on the side of the evil spirits... Despite the fact that Hijack is actively trying to hurt someone, he does seem to have a sense of justice of sorts. So maybe he's part of Doorman and Forge's faction?
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon Sep 07, 2015 3:03 am

Apophyllite wrote:
The planball thing I can just about accept though, because so far, the spirit seems to stick to the rules. The whole paranatural thing is still supposed to be secret so they're trying to deal with the situation in a "normal" way untill Gymclass is over and they can deal with the spirit somewhere away from people who aren't supposed to know. As mentioned here by Dimitri. If Jeff was just rampaging they probably wouldn't go through the effort to stick to the hitball rules...
I think Hijack is likely to still go along with it though, since he really doesn't seem to want Jeff to get into too much trouble...

And whatever plan they had to deal with the spirit is likely going to fail since this page seems to suggest that Hijack manages to take over one of the teachers, I think...
Good point; that one Dmitrii panel is basically the entire counter-point now that I read it once again, haha.  The tipping point for me is that practically everyone has seen the giant dent in the bleachers--Johnny even commented on it with respect to Dmitrii and whats-her-name ran off to get Oop while others stared on in shock--but that's not enough for anyone to abandon the game.  Oh well!

Apophyllite wrote:
Oh! Now that I look at the title page again, I just noticed; While there's a whole puppeteering theme going on, the hand holding the strings is a human hand and not Hijack's hands. Though I guess that could be an artistic thing... Also there's a bar...
I've actually been wondering about that myself, and considered starting a thread where we could discuss the title page artworks and how they relate(d) to the chapter.  I mean in hindsight, that's obviously Dmitrii's hand on the right (although...we haven't actually seen him emit orange spectral energy yet, right?)  I'm very interested in what the implied bar scene is going to be like.
Back to top Go down
Apophyllite
Seeing Shades
Apophyllite

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 08, 2015 2:45 pm

The game must go on No Emotion AT ALL

Though I agree that's an absurd amount of dedication to a hitball game to continue playing after someone tried to kill someone else by throwing a ball way too hard... Twice...

A title page thread would be cool :0
Back to top Go down
Connorses
New Kid
Connorses

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Sep 10, 2015 5:19 pm

I think we need to remember that this chapter is difficult to follow mostly because we're reading an action scene very slowly. More specifically, we are often seeing what goes through a character's head (or multiple characters' conversations) over the course of a whole page, yet in the grand scheme of things that whole page might only span a few seconds. Case in point: this page where Cody is about to be hit by the ball and the flattened ball, and he barely has time to realize what was thrown at him before it's too late.
EDIT: Also of note are pages where Max talks with Suzy, or 2 or 3 where Ed talks to his spirit (which is happening super fast anyway) and a lot of random junk. I am editing my post as I re-read the chapter because it's FUN.
EDIT EDIT: Best line in Chapter 5 is "That isn't Max anymore"

The kids are dedicated to their hitball plan mostly because it's a spur of the moment kind of thing, and hell, no one is perfect. They may soon realize it would have been smarter to forget about playing Hitball and just stop Jeff/Hijack even if by breaking rules THEY get in trouble instead, because Hijack probably has a backup plan even though he was tagged out.

P.S. I think it's neat that Hijack still has some amount of sympathy for Jeff in spite of using Jeff as his convenient vessel of revenge. Weird and creepy, but still interesting.
P.P.S: We're at 32 pages of Hitball if you count this as the first page.
Back to top Go down
Apophyllite
Seeing Shades
Apophyllite

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 20, 2015 6:12 am

All that vein bulging can't be healthy, Jeff. You should probably get that checked out... I do declare!
Back to top Go down
Connorses
New Kid
Connorses

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 7:22 pm

"Hey you Literal 15-Year Old, that arm you drew looks weird because you're a beginner, here's some anatomy tips."

new best line unofficially in chapter 5 (technically going to be in extras) :L

Seriously I like Zack's weird manga PSA it's just so true. Art teachers god damnit.
Back to top Go down
MetaGiga
New Kid
MetaGiga

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 29, 2015 5:05 am

Personally I don't think Hijack is that much of a bad guy (or spirit). I think he hates bullies and defends the victims in some twisted way.
... But he's my fav so
Back to top Go down
Mystery
New Kid
Mystery

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 11:59 am

Chapter 5 - Page 67

Best part:
Chapter Five - Page 3 578e631cd8cdedccc1f198090a5fda51
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter Five

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 3 of 34Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 18 ... 34  Next