The Activity Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger
General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Vote_lcapGeneral Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Voting_barGeneral Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Vote_rcap 
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Vote_lcapGeneral Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Voting_barGeneral Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Vote_rcap 
Soroya123
NinjaKitten
Baron Von Aardvark
Spidey
Leo M. R.
W!tch
Westbrook
tylerouzts
Latest topics
» Chapter Seven
General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm by ThePyromaniac

» Hear me out... (BERG theory)
General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm by janusjekyll

» Hello Activity Club
General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am by janusjekyll

» Non-specific Greeting
General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm by Westbrook

» (slides in) Good Evening
General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm by Clayview

» I shout into the void
General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm by Clayview

Statistics
We have 325 registered users
The newest registered user is AL

Our users have posted a total of 14282 messages in 355 subjects
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

General Off-Topic Discussion Topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next
AuthorMessage
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 6:21 pm

Unfortunately, the best you can do for that is browsing online scientific journals and wikipedia or something.
The first thing I would do is repurpose the current school buildings. Instead of being places where you go to learn, they become places to prove your knowledge. This means that they are not holding around twelve hundred students for six hours a day, and so there is a lot of room for modifications to the building so that they contain any necessary facilities for testing "students" abilities. Instead of there being classrooms lead by teachers, there would be vast databases of information organized into courses (not classes), with a system of unlocking new courses as you demonstrate your knowledge at the testing centers, formerly known as schools (keepng in mind that as the testing centers have been heavily modified from the current dozens of rooms full of desks so that things other than your ability to write down key pieces of information can be tested). These databases would be constantly updated and translated into a variety of languages, as well as being in several formats including audio, visual, audiovisual, and text. Educators would be divided into two groups, a group for supervising the tests, which would be like a 9 to five job type deal, and a group for maintaining the database. Should a student require a question answered, the student would enter it either into a text box which would alert every qualified instructor currently online, allowing one of them to answer it, or into an instant-messaging style course specific chat box, allowing the student to recieve an answer from other students. The fact that the courses unlock exclusively based on achievements means no more age requirements- someone who is eight years old could be learning algebra if they passed all the requisits, and someone who has a tough time of it might not finish learning the alphabet until they're seven, but they wouldn't be expected to by a grade two teacher and they wouldn't have to deal with a bunch of seven year old kids being vaguely sociopathic monsters about it. You can take any test at any time regardless of whether or not youve even looked at the database, and the hours you may or may not have spent on it are not logged in any meaningful way. As for people who learn better via tactile sensation, libraries would be outfitted with a great deal more in terms of educational facilities- not only would they have a lot of computers, they'd have pails of base ten blocks and devices designed to simulate resistance and pressure available for use. And, for the exceptionally rare student who excels in classrooms, there would be a one-room schoolhouse style classroom or two in the back somewhere, where you could sit in for classes or leave at any time, and the lessons taught were based on a request schedule; if you require a course taught, you communicate that course to the teacher, the teacher marks it in on the schedule and tells you when to show up for that specifically, or if its already been requested just gives you the date and time. Everyone in the schoolhouse would be expected to follow along in every lesson, or else expected to leave the room. Of course, because there wouldn't be school buildings for storing your eight year old in while you went off to work, and these classrooms would not be secure enough to leave young kids in them all day either, there would be a rise in daycares, which would be expected to help children too young to use the library or the internet for this sort of thing on their own learn what's what. The idea is that there is much less pressure to learn as a child, and you keep taking courses as you need them throughout your entire life- you might be able to go the first thirty years without taking the advanced english courses, but if you want to apply for a job that lists them as a requirement, all you have to do is show your knowledge in some form of test. A test for the first numbers course might be writing out the numbers from 0-9, or a test in sculpting would look more like you pulling out materials from the supply closet and making something out of them. You would be fully responsible for your own learning, but you wouldn't be responsible for learning everything by eighteen, you know? When you feel secure in your ability to pass the test, take the test.
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 2:50 pm

The wall of text, it is blinding
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 2:54 pm

I get serious about stuff occasionally.
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 2:57 pm

Asssprite wrote:
I get serious about stuff occasionally.

We all do, that's a good thing

to bad I get serious about things that aren't serious.
Back to top Go down
W!tch
Mag!c
W!tch

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 3:15 pm

Ok wow that is a lot to read.
Can anybody give me the short version of the conversation since my last post?
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 3:16 pm

Talkin about school reform.
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Since this is a off-topic-topic, I'll go of topic. I changed my sig, its memorizing
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 4:42 pm

It's perfect.
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 4:55 pm

W!tch wrote:
Ok wow that is a lot to read.
Can anybody give me the short version of the conversation since my last post?

Basically, people started talking about the various issues with the American education system, including the apparently apathetic teachers. YoungOldCatCreeper posted an image about how exams are unfair, and boom, complaints complaints. Asssprite's been the most outspoken, though. Not that that's a bad thing. Also, Tyler brought up Finland as an example of a better system. Some people threw in their two cents of what changes they'd like. That's the gist of it.
Back to top Go down
W!tch
Mag!c
W!tch

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 5:30 pm

Oh.

Well I don't really have all that much to say about the public school system, considering it doesn't really affect me.
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 5:34 pm

Why doesn't it?
Back to top Go down
W!tch
Mag!c
W!tch

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 5:38 pm

I go to a private school, for one.
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 6:05 pm

College for me
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 6:09 pm

Who here is still in school and who here is already in higher education? Y'know, if I may ask. Totes cool if y'all ain't wanting to answer, though!
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 6:15 pm

Speaking of school, I remember working on a project with someone, he didn't want to do his side of the work so we had a disagreement. In the end, We both mutally decided since we could not agree that we would do the project separately. He turned in the assignment and told the teacher that I was 'negatively aggressive.' I e-mailed the teacher after with all are conversations that took place on- line. I got an A. No idea what he got. Reason that I bring this up is because now I have a negative reputation and it is a running joke in my household that I am 'negatively aggressive'
Back to top Go down
tylerouzts
Seeing Shades
tylerouzts

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 6:42 pm

I am attending my second year of collage and my sophomore year of college, which is why I am so mature and make so many pointless puns. tongue
Back to top Go down
http://tylerouzts.tumblr.com
Tren
New Kid
Tren

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 7:33 pm

Leo M. R. wrote:
Who here is still in school and who here is already in higher education? Y'know, if I may ask. Totes cool if y'all ain't wanting to answer, though!

I'm the guy who's a senior in high school. I'm going to college in the fall, though. Already signed up for orientation.
Back to top Go down
Spidey
Spectral
Spidey

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 7:39 pm

Sophmore Year of highschool, I hate almost every ghetto kid in my school D:<
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 8:29 pm

Ill be graduatiing highschool and gettin the flip outta here at the end a next year. On an unrelated note, Ill be offline until monday.
Back to top Go down
tylerouzts
Seeing Shades
tylerouzts

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 8:46 pm

Awwww what are we gonna do for 2 days without Asssprite!? Who wants to go on some whacky side story hijinks with me!?
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 8:52 pm

So most of us are either in late high school or early college/university, huh? Coolios!

tylerouzts wrote:
Awwww what are we gonna do for 2 days without Asssprite!? Who wants to go on some whacky side story hijinks with me!?

ME! ME! ME! Oh you Token Mini-Moe, you!
Back to top Go down
tylerouzts
Seeing Shades
tylerouzts

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 9:01 pm

Leo M. R. wrote:
So most of us are either in late high school or early college/university, huh? Coolios!

tylerouzts wrote:

ME! ME! ME! Oh you Token Mini-Moe, you!

WOOOOO! *theme song starts playing* tyler and Leo crazy side story adventure! YEAH!
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 9:04 pm

THEME SONG!!!

Let's all do the walk!
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 9:06 pm

I see shennanigans and crazy hijinks coming our way.
Back to top Go down
tylerouzts
Seeing Shades
tylerouzts

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 9:11 pm

Leo M. R. wrote:
THEME SONG!!!

Let's all do the walk!

YESSSSSSSSS!!! *walks for 10 minutes* I cant get enough of this.

Eragon5055 wrote:
I see shennanigans and crazy hijinks coming our way.

Also most likely flin-flams.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: General Off-Topic Discussion Topic   General Off-Topic Discussion Topic - Page 5 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

General Off-Topic Discussion Topic

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 5 of 16Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 10 ... 16  Next