The Activity Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger
Chapter Five - Page 9 Vote_lcapChapter Five - Page 9 Voting_barChapter Five - Page 9 Vote_rcap 
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Chapter Five - Page 9 Vote_lcapChapter Five - Page 9 Voting_barChapter Five - Page 9 Vote_rcap 
Soroya123
NinjaKitten
Baron Von Aardvark
Spidey
Leo M. R.
W!tch
Westbrook
tylerouzts
Latest topics
» Chapter Seven
Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm by ThePyromaniac

» Hear me out... (BERG theory)
Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm by janusjekyll

» Hello Activity Club
Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am by janusjekyll

» Non-specific Greeting
Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm by Westbrook

» (slides in) Good Evening
Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm by Clayview

» I shout into the void
Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm by Clayview

Statistics
We have 325 registered users
The newest registered user is AL

Our users have posted a total of 14282 messages in 355 subjects
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Chapter Five

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21 ... 34  Next
AuthorMessage
Apophyllite
Seeing Shades
Apophyllite

Chapter Five - Page 9 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 2:37 pm

Here's Ed without his glasses, his eyes got erased by a spirit though... You can see his hand through the lens when he's holding the glasses.
Dr. Zarei seems like an exeption to the glasses = no eyes thing... Also, here we have people with the full white glasses thing going on but one person with eyes visible behind the frame...
So I guess it's a style thing...
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 3:38 pm

Yeah probably.

Also, the newest page is great!
Spoilers but not really:
Back to top Go down
SoupScum
New Kid
SoupScum

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 6:18 pm

OntheCeiling wrote:
You can *sometimes* see Spender's pupils through his sunglasses, especially in the latest pages. However, Ed's glasses are CLEAR. There is no reason we shouldn't be able to see his eyesssss and it's not that there's glare because we've seen them at night!

OntheCeiling wrote:
STYLIZED SHADING

ayy there ya go

OntheCeiling wrote:
Are we expected to believe that his glasses are just actually white and ed views the world through a thick white coating!?

What if he has photophobia except not that at all since it'd be the exact opposite of it which I couldn't find a word for because it doesn't exist butsincewhenhasthateverbeenanobstacle.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 6:33 pm

That last sentence made perfect sense. I didn't have to decipher it at all! (sorta sarcastic but not really.)

But yeah, the glasses thing is probably just a style thing.
Back to top Go down
SoupScum
New Kid
SoupScum

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 8:44 pm

Gee whiz I wonder if that was intentional.

It's almost certainly style, yes. Either that or a dramatic and critical plot point unraveling a beautifully heartbreaking backstory that will only be revealed much further down the road! The possibilities are endless! wait no they aren't it's probably style
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 9:35 pm

Exactly, my dear sir! *adjusts monocle, wiggles fake moustache*
Back to top Go down
OntheCeiling
New Kid
OntheCeiling

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeThu Feb 18, 2016 11:38 pm

It's another RJ thing.
There's a Trope about this specific "style thing", but I'm not about to search it out.
Basically, the glasses and the hoodie are used to hide a specific feature of a character, serving as a mystery box. Essentially, a cheap reveal that can be used to magnify tension/drama at a later point.
Ed's eyes are being hidden from us so that they can be shown to us later. That, or we'll never see them, and the circumstances surrounding us not seeing them will get more and more absurd for comedic effect.

Either way I'm not a happy camper. And by that, I mean I am intrigued and confused.

Westbrook wrote:
I disagree that you can see Spender's pupils.  I don't think we've EVER seen his eyes, actually.  The spots on them that I think you're describing are just specular reflection from nearby light sources.
Sometimes, however, the yellowish "reflection" is facing downward, or shifts completely in between panels.
During the Jeff entering office scene, the yellowish dots follow Jeff. I believe they ARE spender's pupils which can be seen faintly underneath the glasses.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 5:09 am

Yellow pupils huh? Do you think that has anything to do with him being a medium for that "very dangerous spirit"? I mean, Isaac's hair is perpetually spikey because of his spirit, since the things they inhabit change what they look like to suit the spirit's abilities more, right? So that could be a thing that might be a thing.

But I dunno, this isn't much more than speculation, and I don't really have any evidence to back it up.

It'd be great if someone else could find some for me though! Razz
Back to top Go down
Apophyllite
Seeing Shades
Apophyllite

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 12:47 pm

The colour of the dots on his shades depend on the colour of the ambient lighting. Here's some examples:

Purple, green and red, blue, yellow.

Seeing as how those dots are basically always on the side of the lenses, never in the middle, and tend to correspond to where the light is coming form, I'd guess those dots are just a stylistic light reflection and not his actual pupils... Most panels become at least 40% funnier if you think of them as pupils though...

Also, looks like the style changed from earlier chapters:
Stripes?

And looking for examples I rediscovered the change in how his glasses are portrayed :0

This page and this one are on the same day, but the shades he's wearing look completely different. (I've seen this pointed out in the comments when those were still a thing.) Though I guess that's chapter 4 so maybe a bit off topic >_>
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 5:06 pm

Yeah, that makes sense. I actually never noticed that the highlights in Mr. Spender's changed from stripes; I'll have to take another look at 'em.
Back to top Go down
PineapplePhone
New Kid
PineapplePhone

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 7:35 pm

Can we please talk about how hilarious today's page was? Like omg great job Zack.

Also, can't wait to see what the spirit inside Isabel's umbrella can do! It was speculated in another topic that the umbrella would have weather powers that could work with Isaac's.  So much anticipation.
Back to top Go down
https://www.instagram.com/pineapplephone/
OntheCeiling
New Kid
OntheCeiling

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 9:38 pm

Jimminy Jem Jim beat Jimminy James Jim on the gym in the gym in gym. Jimmy James Jim also beat Jimminy Gem Jimmothy in a Jam-off.

WE, ARE THE CRYSTAL JIMS

Sometimes I forget that this comic is a comedy, and then Zack surprises me with pages like today's.

Zack wins the internet today.
Back to top Go down
Westbrook
Spectral
Westbrook

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeFri Feb 19, 2016 11:10 pm

Three things:

1) ISABEL FORGOT EIGHTFOLD WAS GONE. I AM SO SAD. Her facial expressions in the last three panels tell the whole story of surprise followed by recognition followed by partial acceptance and I think the last panel has a big helping of regret that she's trying to hide.
2) SERIOUSLY IT IS SO SAD AND TOUCHING IT DESERVES TWO POINTS
3) oh hey Isabel also grabbed some sort of communicator?
Back to top Go down
PineapplePhone
New Kid
PineapplePhone

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 1:13 am

You mean the cell phone? That's a flip phone, this comic takes place (presumably) in 2011, when Zack started it.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 1:22 am

It's weird to think that smartphones are actually pretty new, especially with how much everyone uses them.

But that's unrelated.

This page is awesome, needless to say, though it feels a bit weird for there not to be much of a background in 6/8 panels when there was so much background before. Or maybe my perception/memory is just off.

I love paranatural's hilarious misunderstandings! They're half the fun! TM
Back to top Go down
Apophyllite
Seeing Shades
Apophyllite

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 6:58 am

Had to look at the previous page to get why Ed said "Isaac was the stuff" >_>

Isabel even opens her locker in the most badass way possible... No Emotion AT ALL
Omg, her instinctively reaching for a book though. ;_; All the feels.

And yeah, the punnyness of paranatural is one of it's greatest aspects (that and the story, and the characters, and the art, and the everything I guess). It's definitely the most unique thing about it, at least among the webcomics that I read...

Oh man, with all this new activity in the forum we might actually need to move our page discussions to the latest page thread :0
Soon, we'll be filling up entire threads just discussing one page I do declare!
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 7:36 am

How exciting! I guess that means this place would be for discussing theories that have to do with the entire chapter then.
Back to top Go down
OntheCeiling
New Kid
OntheCeiling

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 2:04 pm

Ehh, on my previous forum episode threads got 100's of pages. But it would be super neat to be able to visit the Latest Page bit.

Also, the phone was in her bag to begin with, as it's visible in the previous several panels, but it simply lit up in the last panel. so, she got a message.
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 3:14 pm

I wonder what it says? And who it's from?
Back to top Go down
PineapplePhone
New Kid
PineapplePhone

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 4:51 pm

Plot twist: it's from Sam, Max's friend from his hometown
Back to top Go down
OntheCeiling
New Kid
OntheCeiling

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 5:32 pm

Or from Doghouse, the one who contacted Max in the closet.
Back to top Go down
TurnTechBiologist
New Kid
TurnTechBiologist

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSat Feb 20, 2016 6:29 pm

Apophyllite wrote:
Isabel even opens her locker in the most badass way possible... No Emotion AT ALL
this is a reference to the rumor Suzy was telling Max about in the background of the last panel here
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 2:32 am

But why/how would Sam/Doghouse know Isabel's phone number, or even know her at all?
Back to top Go down
PineapplePhone
New Kid
PineapplePhone

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 2:39 am

Maybe they met on a web comic forum
Back to top Go down
NinjaKitten
Paranaturalist
NinjaKitten

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitimeSun Feb 21, 2016 3:36 am

Hah!

In that case, they wouldn't be practicing the safe internet protocols, since they gave each other their phone numbers.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chapter Five   Chapter Five - Page 9 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chapter Five

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 9 of 34Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 21 ... 34  Next