The Activity Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Activity Club

For the fans of Zack Morrison's webcomic Paranatural.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Top posters
Erie, Man of Danger
Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Vote_lcapAnime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Voting_barAnime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Vote_lcapAnime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Voting_barAnime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
Soroya123
NinjaKitten
Baron Von Aardvark
Spidey
Leo M. R.
W!tch
Westbrook
tylerouzts
Latest topics
» Chapter Seven
Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 20, 2021 10:11 pm by ThePyromaniac

» Hear me out... (BERG theory)
Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Oct 06, 2020 12:32 pm by janusjekyll

» Hello Activity Club
Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2020 9:07 am by janusjekyll

» Non-specific Greeting
Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Sep 04, 2020 5:05 pm by Westbrook

» (slides in) Good Evening
Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:51 pm by Clayview

» I shout into the void
Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 03, 2020 4:49 pm by Clayview

Statistics
We have 325 registered users
The newest registered user is AL

Our users have posted a total of 14282 messages in 355 subjects
April 2024
MonTueWedThuFriSatSun
CalendarCalendar
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 5:16 pm

Apparently they're making Dangan Ronpa into an anime, so that'll be interesting. Also: I read psyren for a while, it was rad as frick, but then I couldn't find it anymore so I gave up. I've been watching TMOHS recently, all casual and slow-like.
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 5:40 pm

Digimon Adventure is still the most emotionally-significant anime in my life, but story- and theme- wise Digimon Tamers tops everyone else in the franchise.

Anyone here a giant fan of Mirai Nikki (like I am)?
Back to top Go down
hollow
New Kid
hollow

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:01 pm

Gotta agree with you there Leo - tamers is the best, and adventure is the one we all grew up on - well, most of us anyway. Apparently the Xros Wars/ Fusion Wars dub is coming out later this year - on Nick if I remember right. It'd be nice to see digimon rekindled with that~

Card Captor Sakura anyone? Or maybe you'd like some Vampire Knight (a show I both love and hate).

Lets talk anime movies - who else loved Sumer Wars? n_n
Back to top Go down
Soroya123
Paranaturalist
Soroya123

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 10:03 pm

I've been meaning to watch that! But Netflix is being kinda mean and kept sending me blueray instead of just normal DVDs. /Sad.
Back to top Go down
http://soroya123.tumblr.com/
Tren
New Kid
Tren

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 8:33 am

hollow wrote:
Gotta agree with you there Leo - tamers is the best, and adventure is the one we all grew up on - well, most of us anyway. Apparently the Xros Wars/ Fusion Wars dub is coming out later this year - on Nick if I remember right. It'd be nice to see digimon rekindled with that~

Card Captor Sakura anyone? Or maybe you'd like some Vampire Knight (a show I both love and hate).

Summer Wars is fantastic, but Xros Wars is god-awful.
Maybe I'm just too old to enjoy it since I didn't grow up with it, even though I like every other season.
Back to top Go down
hollow
New Kid
hollow

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:30 am

Tren wrote:
hollow wrote:

Summer Wars is fantastic, but Xros Wars is god-awful.
Maybe I'm just too old to enjoy it since I didn't grow up with it, even though I like every other season.

I've seen all of Xros Wars now, and I have to admit I was a bit iffy about the idea too when it started. But it's sorta grown on me - and Taiki is a different take on the goggle head character, I like it~ Then there's Hunters, which had a good premise and all, but Tagiru is just plain annoying >_>; Still, if these series being dubbed means there's a chance of another series being released, well, I could deal with that n_n; Still - nothing will ever compare to series 1-3.

Has anybody seen Ghost Hound?

Back to top Go down
W!tch
Mag!c
W!tch

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:32 am

And suddenly, as the new queen, I deem it time for me to list my top 15 anime/manga. I highly recommend each one, for different reasons. Aaaaand go.

1. Durarara!!
2. Kimi Ni Todoke
3. Soul Eater
4. Gurren Lagann
5. Digimon Tamers
6. Casshern Sins
7. Fullmetal Alchemist (Manga and Brotherhood only, I don't much care for the first anime)
8. Bakuman
9. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
10. Cowboy Bebop
11. Little Witch Academia
12. Ao No Exorcist
13. One Piece
14. The Idolm@ster
15. Azumanga Daioh
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:39 am

W!tch wrote:
And suddenly, as the new queen, I deem it time for me to list my top 15 anime/manga. I highly recommend each one, for different reasons. Aaaaand go.

1. Durarara!!
2. Kimi Ni Todoke
3. Soul Eater
4. Gurren Lagann
5. Digimon Tamers
6. Casshern Sins
7. Fullmetal Alchemist (Manga and Brotherhood only, I don't much care for the first anime)
8. Bakuman
9. Puella Magi Madoka Magica
10. Cowboy Bebop
11. Little Witch Academia
12. Ao No Exorcist
13. One Piece
14. The Idolm@ster
15. Azumanga Daioh

Look at the number 1. Look at it. Definitive proof of her supremely high taste.
Back to top Go down
W!tch
Mag!c
W!tch

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 10:48 am

Well, yeah. But to be honest, I lie all three of the top three pretty much equally. They are all fantastic.
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 3:39 pm

I just finnished reading a comic called Otaku no Musume-san. It was about a 26 year old Otaku gets visited by a 9 year old child claiming that she is his daughter and she needs to live with him for a year. The story was a comedy and was great up until the second half... It left a bad taste in my mouth.

Spoiler:
Back to top Go down
Spidey
Spectral
Spidey

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 4:17 pm

Gotta say, favorite anime ?

1. Mirai Nikki (future diary) Its pretty psychotic, but it left me a little heartbroken, i recommend reading the manga for the clear ending though.

2. Digimon Frontier (i hate anime where the kids have no/cant use any powers and have creatures fight for them, this is the one where the kids BECOME, digimon)

3.Zero No Tsukaima

4.Soul Eater
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 4:22 pm

You have great taste for liking Mirai Nikki, my friend!
Back to top Go down
Wealthy Lord Asssprite
Paranaturalist
Wealthy Lord Asssprite

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 4:36 pm

I've seen the first three or four episodes of Soul Eater and the also the very last episode while my younger brother was watching them on netflix; all I can honestly say I thought about it is that it would make a really great video game, like a 2d fighting game/platformer combination. Each level, you get a new weapon to use, and you track down and fight 99 enemies throughout a level to unlock a boss fight, keeping it simple and not having much of a story to avoid having to wrap the game around canon. I really disliked the weirder characters, though, so I didnt really watch the middle... They sort of felt artificially weird, and the ninja-y one's voice acting was grating to the point where I was sort of turned off on the whole thing. But yeah, conceptually it's really neat, and ideal for a well-handled franchising.
Back to top Go down
Tren
New Kid
Tren

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 7:32 pm

hollow wrote:

Several times. Chiaki Konaka is a madman and a master of nightmares.
Hell, just look at Tamers. (He also wrote the Dark Ocean episodes in 02, but ultimately they had no point.)
Back to top Go down
hollow
New Kid
hollow

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 6:54 am

Tren wrote:
hollow wrote:

Several times. Chiaki Konaka is a madman and a master of nightmares.
Hell, just look at Tamers. (He also wrote the Dark Ocean episodes in 02, but ultimately they had no point.)

I love you for knowing this~ n_n
Man, I loved everything about Ghost Hound - it's a great story, with some really creepy scenes, and it explores some awesome ideas~ (I've also seen it like three times over now)

SpiderVoodoo wrote:
2. Digimon Frontier (i hate anime where the kids have no/cant use any powers and have creatures fight for them, this is the one where the kids BECOME, digimon)

Hey, that happened in Tamers too - not til much later in the series, but you gotta admit, the whole bio-merge think was pretty damn awesome. Plus, the card slash thing got them more involved in the whole thing, I thought. >_>; In case it's not obvious, I REALLY liked that series XD
Back to top Go down
Ars Nova
New Kid
Ars Nova

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 10:32 pm

Working on: Durarara!!. Kind of assimilated most of the plot back when it ran on [as], but I put off watching it properly for waaaay too long. All my friends loved it, I knew I'd love it, I knew I would 100% be Shizuo holy jESUS AND I EVEN HAVE A FRIEND WHO'S IZAYA. I just couldn't find the time to sit down and knock it out. Don't tell me the dub sucks unless you're done using your jaw.

Looking forward to: Little Witch Academia. If you haven't seen the pilot yet, what are you doing with your life.

Top 10 amine
10. Eureka Seven
9. Lupin III
8. Fullmetal Alchemist (both series)
7. Baccano!
6. Trigun
5. Hellsing Ultimate
4. Yu Yu Hakusho
3. Cowboy Bebop
2. FLCL
1. Outlaw Star

Top 5 mango
5. Trinity Blood
4. DOGS: Bullets and Carnage
3. Loveless
2. Hellsing
1. D.Gray-Man

Top 5 moovees
5. Eureka Seven: Good Night, Sleep Tight, Young Lovers
4. Fullmetal Alchemist: The Conqueror of Shamballa
3. Howl's Moving Castle
2. Tie: Paprika, Summer Wars
1. Cowboy Bebop: Knockin' on Heaven's Door

Amines I don't like nearly as much as everyone else
5. ChäoS;HEAd
4. Naruto
3. Bleach
2. Death Note
1. Neon Genesis Evangelion

Amines I shouldn't like nearly as much as I do
5. Eureka Seven
4. S-Cry-Ed
3. Genesis of Aquarion
2. Yu-Gi-Oh!
1. [C]: The Money of Soul and Possibility Control

Has anyone besides me seen
5. Innocent Venus
4. Kemonozume
3. Mononoke
2. Oh! Edo Rocket
1. El Cazador de la Bruja

If not: You should

Favorite studio: Tie between Bones and Madhouse. Yes they did make most of the amine on my list FITE ME.

Dub or sub: Dub, except in very rare cases. Those guys put their heart and soul into their work. (Usually.)

Please ask: me about those amines I hate I will gladly explain to you why they're garbage I don't like them

Also here's my animelist, if anyone cares.

Last edited by Ars Nova on Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 10:42 pm

I have a saying, there is a anime/manga for everyone. And there is people for every manga or anime.
Back to top Go down
Leo M. R.
Spectral
Leo M. R.

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 10:58 pm

Why do you write "anime" as "amine", Nova? Question
Back to top Go down
Ars Nova
New Kid
Ars Nova

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 11:08 pm

Leo M. R. wrote:

Because
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 11:13 pm

Ars Nova wrote:
Leo M. R. wrote:

Because
DAW!!! SEIZURE!! MY BRAIN FEELS BACKWARDS!!
Back to top Go down
W!tch
Mag!c
W!tch

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 11:42 pm

May I ask what you don't like about NGE? You did tell me to ask.

And yay, [C]! It's soooo good.
Back to top Go down
Ars Nova
New Kid
Ars Nova

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:38 am

W!tch wrote:
May I ask what you don't like about NGE? You did tell me to ask.

The reason it was so groundbreaking for its time is also sort of the reason I dislike it. A big part of its reception was the way it commented on the mecha genre up to that point, which was full of happy-go-lucky child heroes who had no qualms about entering into full-scale war in a gargantuan killing machine. It portrayed the trauma and psychoses that can spring from that scenario, and the grisly reality of warfare - at the cost of turning all its characters into tools.

Eva's cast is interesting at first, but over time one gets the sense that they're not really people; they're walking mental problems put in place to make a point. They confront their issues from start to finish and never seem to make any progress in overcoming them. Neither ending is good; in fact, the one they made on a budget is worse. At least the original ending had some sort of positive conclusion. End of Evangelion rewards Shinji for finally (FINALLY) overcoming his neuroses with a veritable dystopia. A downer ending for its own sake, as if to maintain the status quo that everyone must be miserable and/or dead because that's all life is.

Hideaki Anno has been criticized before for the sheer volume of allusions to psychological and religious history, among others, with some going so far as to call him a plagiarist. His response was thus:

Quote :
"There is no longer room for absolute originality in the field of anime, especially given that our generation was brought up on mass-produced anime. All stories and techniques inevitably bring with them a sense of déjà vu. The only avenue of expression left open to us is to produce a collage-like effect based on a sampling of existing works."

Collage, indeed. But there's a difference between subtle, deliberate symbolism and brackish, ham-handed symbolism, a line which I feel Anno crosses far more than once. Eva is great for introducing things like Freud and Christianity to people who don't know of them, but when it comes to really churning the dirt of these topics, all one finds in Eva's soil is worms and corpses.

So basically, it's all shock value and fancy words, but I have pried that away and found no depth. Plus Gundam Wing came out at the same time and did basically the same thing but better. And with one less ephebophilic milf. So NYEH.

All that said, I do not rate Evangelion poorly; I simply dislike it personally, and I decline to recommend it except as a useful piece of cultural knowledge. And I'm watching the Rebuild series closely to see if it makes improvements, particularly to the ending. But let's just say I can still get pretty fired up in a room full of classic Eva worshippers.

[C], on the other hand, is the exact opposite: I fully acknowledge it is dumb as hell and I still love it. The concept is absurd. The fight rules are confusing and stilted. The plot seriously unravels in the last few episodes. BUT IT'S GOT MOXIE. AND THAT'S ALL THAT MATTERS. Also describing it to friends as Capitalist Wonderland never gets old

Last edited by Ars Nova on Sat Apr 06, 2013 12:50 am; edited 6 times in total
Back to top Go down
Erie, Man of Danger
Paranaturalist
Erie, Man of Danger

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:42 am

I also didn't enjoy NGE. I thoroughly disagreed with its view on reality and measures of self worth. I also really don't like how it tries to hit me on the head with them and symbolism for the sake of symbolism. Tats my Opinion.
Back to top Go down
Ars Nova
New Kid
Ars Nova

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:44 am

Eragon5055 wrote:
I also didn't enjoy NGE. I thoroughly disagreed with its view on reality and measures of self worth. I also really don't like how it tries to hit me on the head with them and symbolism for the sake of symbolism. Tats my Opinion.

Yes that's basically the sparknotes of my long-winded speech thank you
Back to top Go down
Tren
New Kid
Tren

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 10:24 am

At one point didn't an assistant producer say all of the symbolism in NGE was put there to look cool?
That's what pisses me off most about it. Oh yeah, and Shinji masturbating to completion over Asuka's comatose body.

EDIT: In other news, my top 10 anime:

10. Kino's Journey
9. Kino's Journey
8. Kino's Journey
7.Kino's Journey
6. Kino's Journey
5. Kino's Journey
4. Kino's Journey
3.Kino's Journey
2. Kino's Journey
1. Kino's Journey
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic   Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anime/Manga General Discussion Topic

View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 2 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next